Illegal occupants evicted at former Scout Hall, demolition outstanding
Ward 82 councillor Siobhan Muller says residents are now waiting for the promised demolition of the derelict municipal property.
Residents in Menlo Park are once again calling on the Tshwane Metro to intervene at the former Scout Hall on the corner of 26th Street and Umgazi Road.
The fate of the long-abandoned municipal property remains unclear, despite the eviction of illegal occupants and previous assurances that demolition work would begin.
Ward 82 councillor Siobhan Muller said the illegal occupants had been removed from the property, but the site itself had still not been cleared.
She said she had been told that a bulldozer would arrive on August 18, to begin the next phase of work.
According to Muller, the eviction of the illegal occupants had already taken place following intervention by the municipality and a court order.
She said focus is now on clearing and demolishing the derelict building, which residents say has been a longstanding concern in the neighbourhood.
The property, known as the old Scout Hall, has been the subject of complaints for several years, with residents previously raising concerns about illegal occupation, dumping, informal trading and the general deterioration of the site.

Image: Supplied
The metro is yet to reveal its plans with the former Scout Hall.
In a petition, Muller said residents had repeatedly approached municipal officials and the MMC for Safety and Security over the past two years about the condition of the property.
“We the residents of Tshwane demand that COT take immediate action to evict the illegal occupants and then to immediately demolish the derelict municipal property,” the petition read.
According to Muller, residents are seeking clarity on when the promised demolition and clean-up will be completed.
Muller said an existing court order had prevented illegal occupation of the property and empowered the metro to remove occupants in the event of illegal or unauthorised occupation.
She added that residents had also previously offered to assist the municipality with securing the property once the occupants had been removed.
“Once TMPD has removed illegal occupants as per our request, we will place a full-time guard on the property at our own cost,” said Muller.
The latest concerns follow complaints raised in July about the condition of the property and its impact on surrounding residents and businesses.
Residents previously alleged that people were sleeping and living at the property, while informal trading and other activities were taking place around the site.
Concerns were also raised about rubbish, damaged vehicles, broken windows and fires allegedly being made inside the building.
Resident Quintin Wiehahn previously said the property had become a source of fear, neglect and urban decay.
He said its location between residential properties and businesses made its condition particularly concerning, as students, workers, residents and visitors pass the area daily.
The metro previously confirmed that the property, known as the remainder of Erf 757 Menlo Park, belongs to the municipality.
Metro spokesperson Lindela Mashigo previously said the matter had been brought to the city’s attention and was under investigation.
According to Mashigo, the metro’s law enforcement branch had commenced regular monitoring and enforcement activities at the property, while municipal departments had conducted inspections.
“An integrated intervention and clean-up plan was being developed, involving law enforcement units, the regional office and the Environmental Management Department.”
Mashigo added that the municipality was investigating the future use of the property through a highest-and-best-use feasibility assessment.
“The outcome of this assessment will inform the most appropriate use and development of the site,” he said.
The metro did not respond to questions about the latest developments at the time of publication.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok or WhatsApp Channel
