CrimeLocal news

Two Laudium burglars sentenced to 20 years for house robbery last year

The two men robbed a house at gunpoint and tied up the victims with cables.

The Atteridgeville magistrate’s court recently sentenced two Laudium men to 20 years in prison for a house robbery they committed in December 2021.

Klaas Madileng (34) and Juma Mphelesa (32) were accused of breaking into a house on 5th Avenue and violently threatening the occupants.

It is alleged that the two men were armed with a firearm when they raided the home and tied up the victims with cables.

Laudium police spokesperson Sergeant Simon Chokoe said Madileng and Mphelesa got away with several items belonging to the victims, including iPhones.

Chokoe said the victims opened a case of house robbery and an investigation was immediately launched.

He said the two men were arrested after an intelligence-driven investigation led the law enforcement authorities to the location of the suspects.

The two were also deemed unfit to possess a firearm.

Chokoe thanked the team of investigators for their continuous hard work.

In a separate incident, police in Laudium welcomed the conviction of Dipou Gombi who was arrested for assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Chokoe said the assault happened in June last year at Itereleng informal settlement in Laudium.

He said Gombi was sentenced to 12 months in prison and was declared unfit to possess a firearm.

The sentence was handed down by the Atteridgeville magistrate’s court last Monday.

Laudium SAPS station commander Lieutenant-Colonel David Sithole applauded the investigators for their continuous hard work and success.

Sithole urged community members to report any sort of abuse by contacting Crime Stop on 08600 10111 or by visiting their nearest police station.

“Police will continue to be visible around Laudium and enforce stop-and-search operations to nab suspects who are wanted for such crimes.”

He urged members of the community to refrain from criminal activities and abuse of any sort.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button