Local sportSport

Rassie to make interesting experiments in match against Namibia

Rassie Erasmus gave Springbok supporters hope that he might come up with a new game plan against Namibia when he selected Frans Steyn at inside centre and three loose forwards whom are all playing towards the ball.

The Springboks have rotated their squad for Saturday’s must-win cross-border battle with northern neighbours Namibia, making 13 changes to the starting line-up that appeared in the opening Rugby World Cup clash with New Zealand.

Rassie Erasmus, director of rugby, gives first appearances in the competition to nine players while Makazole Mapimpi (left wing) and Lukhanyo Am (centre) are the only players from the 23-13 reverse against New Zealand, to make back-to-back starts.

In addition, six of the opening day starting XV re-appear on the bench – including captain Siya Kolisi – while all of last Saturday’s replacements (with the exception of injured Jesse Kriel) are in the starting lineup.

The starting XV features nine of those who started the opening match of the international season; a 35-17 victory over Australia in the Rugby Championship in July.

One of the newcomers to the starting line-up is Schalk Brits, who moves to a new role in the back row at No 8. Brits captains the team for the second time having led the Springboks in the 24-18 victory over Argentina in Pretoria.

“Every match is a must-win game for us now and we are treating this match with the same level of preparation as we did New Zealand last week. This is a Springbok team that is hungry to play and show what they can do and the majority of them have had the chance to play as a combination together a couple of times this season. They’ve got an important job to do: you always lose momentum in a defeat and we need to regain that with a victory and a strong performance,” said Erasmus.

The match will be only the third meeting between the countries, but Erasmus does not expect a repeat of the blow outs of the previous meetings.

The Springboks recorded a 105-13 victory at Newlands in Cape Town on the eve of the 2007 Rugby World Cup; and the teams met for the second time during the 2011 tournament in New Zealand, with the Springboks shutting out Namibia 87-0.

“Already we’ve seen that the Tier 2 nations are increasingly competitive in this tournament. Namibia held Italy to a 25-point margin (47-22) in their opening match and scored three tries in making Italy scrap all the way. There’s no denying, we’ll start as favourites but we’ll get a helluva shock if we think that’s enough to win the game. We have to treat all opponents in this tournament with equal seriousness, stick to our planning, bring intensity and then hopefully we’ll get our rewards,” said Erasmus.

He explained that Brits would cover the replacement hooker position and that Franco Mostert (lock) would cover the loose forward positions along with Siya Kolisi, who continues his rehabilitation with more planned game time from the bench.

Thomas du Toit, who only arrived in Nagoya on Tuesday as an injury replacement for Trevor Nyakane, goes straight into the match day 23 as a front row replacement.

The match kicks off at 11:45 (SA time).

The Springbok team to play Namibia in the City of Toyota Stadium on Saturday is: 15. Warrick Gelant, 14. Sbu Nkosi, 13. Lukhanyo Am, 12. Frans Steyn, 11. Makazole Mapimpi, 10. Elton Jantjies, 9. Herschel Jantjies, 8. Schalk Brits (captain), 7. Kwagga Smith, 6. Francois Louw, 5. Lood de Jager, 4. RG Snyman, 3. Vincent Koch, 2. Bongi Mbonambi and 1. Tendai Mtawarira. Replacements: 16. Steven Kitshoff, 17. Thomas du Toit, 18. Eben Etzebeth, 19. Siya Kolisi, 20. Franco Mostert, 21. Cobus Reinach, 22. Damian de Allende and 23. Cheslin Kolbe.

 

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East
Rekord North
Rekord Centurion
Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Koos Venter

Koos Venter is an experienced journalist who started his career 35 years ago, before the days of cellphones, modern computer systems, the internet and digital cameras, as a correspondent for Nexus, the former national magazine of the Department of Correctional Services. He has since worked for various other publications in all aspects of news coverage, as a columnist and in the production side of newspapers and online publications. Since 2007 he has specialized as a sports writer, while he is also regularly used as an analyst and commentator by several radio stations.
Back to top button