Local boxing champ in watershed battle
He is widely regarded as a future world champion, but before Pretoria's own Jabulani Makhense can dream about this possibility, he will have to deal with Harry Simon Jr. from Namibia on Saturday evening.
If there ever was a watershed moment in Pretoria’s boxer Jabulani Makhense’s career, it would be the coming Saturday’s important fight against Namibian Harry Simon Jr.
Unfortunately, Makhense’s promised fight in Germany against German veteran Firat Arslan, which was due to take place in February this year, has been cancelled. But this coming Saturday, he will have the opportunity to make a huge breakthrough that could boost his already promising career.
On Saturday Makhense will face Namibian super lightweight champion Harry Simon Jr. at Emperors Palace in Kempton Park.
Both Makhense’s Africa titles will be at stake in this fight. He currently holds the World Boxing Association (WBA) Pan African Super Light title as well as the International Boxing Federation (IBF) Continental Africa Super Light title.
Simon, like Makhense, has so far been undefeated in his professional career and boasts eleven victories, nine of which were scored with knockouts. On the other hand, Makhense has stopped four opponents with knockouts in his nine victories so far as a professional boxer.

However, Makhense’s coach Sebastian Rothmann is very excited about Saturday’s fight. According to Rothmann they received an offer from the well-known American promoter, Lou DiBella, to fight in the United States in June this year if Makhense manage to beat Simon.
This opportunity fits perfectly with Rothmann’s planning for Makhense’s career. He believes his boxer is now ready to spread his wings and start boxing against international opponents.
“The time is right to go one step higher on our way to our dream of making Jabulani a world champion,” Rothmann told Rekord.
Rothmann still believes Makhense is one of the most talented boxers to appear on the scene in South Africa in a long time. After only a few professional fights, this former bronze medal winner at the Commonwealth Games was nominated by Boxing SA in 2018 as one of five candidates for Prospect of the Year.
Boxing legend Brian Mitchell calls him a ‘future superstar’ and well-known boxing journalist and host of the Boxing Talk Show, Hayden Jones, identified Makenzi at the beginning of 2020 as the number two on his list of most promising boxers in South Africa to watch this year.
Makhense was very positive about Saturday’s fight when Rekord talked to him during his final preparations at Rothmann’s Elite Boxing Gym behind the south pavilion at Loftus Versfeld.
“I know he is apparently a hard puncher, but I am ready for him. I believe I can adapt to any opponent’s style and I look forward to Saturday night,” said the double African champ.
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
