Bulls stalwart becomes part of Springbok Bomb Squad, has a big role to play in second Test
Springbok coach Jacques Nienaber has made three changes to his starting line-up for the second Test against the British and Irish Lions, which will be played again in Cape Town on Saturday.
Three changes to the starting line-up and two new faces on the bench. This is in short how the Springbok team can be summed up who must ensure in Cape Town on Saturday that South Africa still has a chance to win the Test series against the British and Irish Lions.
While the Springbok backline remains unchanged, coach Jacques Nienaber has made three changes to the forwards, while there will also be two new players on the substitutes bench.
The so-called “Bomb Squad”, as South Africa’s substitutes are referred to, indicates that Nienaber expects the battle up front to be even tougher than in the first Test, as he has selected six forwards and only two backs on the bench.
One of the interesting things is that the Boks will have two recognized fetchers – Kwagga Smith and Marco “Eskom” van Staden – on the bench, which indicates that there will be a big effort from the South Africans to slow down the pace of the game in the second half.
The inclusion of Van Staden, known as a real fire eater on the field, also indicates that the Springbok management team realizes that their captain, Siya Kolisi, is still not in good shape and that he will probably be replaced early in the second half to make way for Van Staden, who is in brilliant form this year.
Kolisi’s inability to keep up with the pace of the match, as well as his inability to play the role of a traditional fetcher, had a major impact on last week’s first Test, which was dominated by the touring team up front.
Two of the changes are in the front-row, where Steven Kitshoff – who made his Test debut against Ireland in 2016 – will mark his career milestone of 50 test matches next to Frans Malherbe (prop) and Bongi Mbonambi in a new-look combination for the hosts.
The other change in the starting line-up is at No 8, where Jasper Wiese earns his first Test start after making his debut off the replacements bench against Georgia earlier this month.
“This is a massive game for us. It is do or die in order to stay in the race to win the series and we selected a team that offers continuity in selection, but also that we thought would be the best suited to achieve the objectives we have set for this match,” said Nienaber.
Of his decision to opt for a six-two split on the replacements bench, Nienaber said: “We have had an extra week on the training field after a few disruptive weeks in the build-up to the opening Test, so we are confident that the players in the squad will be able to deliver on the physicality and grit that will be required in this match.
Nienaber expected another epic battle against the British & Irish Lions, and he said the Boks were in the right frame of mind to bounce back from the disappointment they endured last week.
Ben O’Keeffe from New Zealand has been appointed as the referee for the match, with Mathieu Raynal (France) and Nic Berry (Australia) serving as his assistant referees, while Marius Jonker (South Africa) will be the television match official.
Springbok team to face the British & Irish Lions in the second test match:
- Willie le Roux, 14. Cheslin Kolbe, 13. Lukhanyo Am, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Makazole Mapimpi, 10. Handré Pollard, 9. Faf de Klerk, 8. Jasper Wiese, 7. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6. Siya Kolisi, 5. Franco Mostert, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3. Frans Malherbe, 2. Bongi Mbonambi, 1. Steven Kitshoff. Replacements: 16. Malcolm Marx, 17. Trevor Nyakane, 18 – Vincent Koch, 19. Lood de Jager, 20. Marco van Staden, 21. Kwagga Smith, 22 – Herschel Jantjies, 23. Damian Willemse.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
