ActionSA withdraws Thapelo Molepo as Polokwane mayoral candidate
ActionSA has withdrawn Thapelo Molepo as its Polokwane mayoral candidate in a move the party calls "strategic realignment".
POLOKWANE – ActionSA in Limpopo has withdrawn Thapelo Molepo as its mayoral candidate for the City of Polokwane, releasing the news in a media statement published on Wednesday.
A WhatsApp message seen by Polokwane Observer posted on Molepo’s social media suggests he was informed of the decision with immediate effect.
Committee unanimously agreed
In the text purported to have been sent by ActionSA Provincial Chairperson Victor Mothemela, Molepo is informed that “the committee unanimously agreed to withdraw you as the mayoral candidate of Polokwane with immediate effect and the statement will be released soon.”
“I thought the PS (provincial secretary) has already informed you about the decision of the Convention council of ActionSA,” Mothemela wrote. He then removed Molepo from the party group, adding: “Having that said I’ll withdraw you officially from this group as well. Thanks.”
About an hour later, the party released a press statement saying the decision was reached “in consultation with Mr Molepo” as part of a “strategic realignment” to strengthen the organisation ahead of the Local Government Elections.
Molepo’s rise as a whistleblower
Molepo’s candidacy ends after months of campaigning across the city. His political profile grew in the ANC as a whistleblower on an alleged R700 million tender-corruption scandal at Polokwane Municipality in 2025.
He became a prominent critic of Mayor John Mpe and municipal leadership before being suspended and subsequently resigning from the ANC and joining ActionSA thereafter.
Both Molepo and Mpe come from the same ANC ward and village. Prior to joining ActionSA, Molepo staged several service delivery protests in the municipality.
ActionSA: ‘Polokwane is strategic’
ActionSA said Polokwane is “strategic” and the move reflects its determination to “maximise its members’ capabilities and deploy them in strategic roles that will propel the campaign to greater heights.”

The day the Action SA offices for Limpopo were opened in Polokwane where Thapelo Molepo posed with party provincial treasurer, Tonic Manchidi.
Mothemela said the party appreciates Molepo’s contribution.
“ActionSA Limpopo recognises and appreciates Mr Molepo’s contribution, commitment, and willingness to place the organisation’s interests above individual considerations,” he said. “This decision underscores the importance of collective leadership and organisational discipline.”
No replacement named yet
The party did not announce a replacement candidate.
Molepo could not be reached for comment by phone at the time of publication. Questions sent to him include his views on the change, whether he had been consulted before the WhatsApp message, if he thinks the move is strategic as stated by Mothemela, and whether he will remain a member of ActionSA.
His response will inform a follow-up story.




