Local News

5 kidnapped foreign nationals rescued in Limpopo

Limpopo police rescued five foreign nationals held captive for 12 days and arrested two suspects linked to a kidnapping and ransom syndicate.

LIMPOPO – Five foreign nationals who were reportedly held captive for nearly two weeks have been rescued during a police operation in the Levubu policing area, with two suspects arrested in connection with a kidnapping and extortion network.

Police spokesperson Colonel Malesela Ledwaba said the operation was carried out by members of the Provincial Organised Crime Unit following an intelligence-led investigation.

How police tracked them

According to police, the investigation began after a kidnapping case was opened by a foreign national living in Giyani on Tuesday, May 7. The complainant reported receiving calls from unknown individuals demanding ransom money for the release of his brother.

Acting on gathered information, police traced leads to Valdezia Mambedi Village under the Levubu policing precinct, where an operation was conducted on Saturday, May 16, at about 08:00.

Ledwaba said police searched a local spaza shop identified during the investigation and found two foreign male suspects on the premises.

During the search, police seized illicit cigarettes, cellphones and an undisclosed amount of cash, including coins stored in plastic bags.

Victims ‘half-naked and visibly distressed’

Further inspection of the property led to the discovery of five foreign male victims, aged between 18 and 24, who were allegedly being held inside a locked room.

“The victims were found seated on the floor, half-naked and visibly distressed,” said Ledwaba.

How they were taken

Preliminary investigations revealed that the men had been kidnapped separately in the Giyani area before being forced into a truck and transported to the location, where they were held for about 12 days.

Police said the victims reported being guarded, fed only bread and repeatedly assaulted while their family members were pressured to pay a ransom for their release.

Two suspects arrested

Two Ethiopian nationals, Misganu Gethchwe (24) and Teshal Tumebo (20), were arrested.

The suspects appeared before the Giyani Magistrate’s Court on kidnapping charges and before the Waterval Magistrate’s Court on charges linked to the possession of illicit cigarettes and money laundering on Monday, May 18.

They were remanded in custody and are expected back in the Waterval Magistrate’s Court on Friday, May 22, and in the Giyani Magistrate’s Court on Monday, May 25.

Two additional suspects still wanted

Police said two additional suspects linked to the syndicate remain at large, and efforts to locate them are continuing.

Investigations are ongoing.

For more breaking news follow us on Facebook Twitter Instagram or join our WhatsApp group

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Review in Google News and Top Stories.

Supplied content

This content originated outside of Caxton Local Media, but we thought that you might find it interesting.

Related Articles

Back to top button