CrimeNews

Operation closes down on suspected fraud at Standerton licensing department

He could however, confirm on Friday afternoon that eight suspects were apprehended in connection with fraud.

Eight employees were apprehended at the traffic department of Standerton in Walter Sisulu Drive on Friday, 23 August in connection with fraudulent activities amounting to millions of rands owed to the state.

According to information, a three-year investigation pointed to the classification of heavy-duty vehicles to regular vehicles during which a false motor vehicle dealership was created.

A television crew was on the scene, capturing the comings and goings.

The entrance gate for motorists wanting to do business at the traffic department, was closed at about 10.45am and some drivers were waiting in-line, considering the possibility that the offices would not be open for licence renewals and all the necessary to drive in South Africa.

A few people were standing outside the second entrance with a police presence towards the west. An employee of a motor retailer said at 9.50am that the activities had been going since early the morning.

The Standerton Advertiser made a number of telephone calls to establish the reason for the closing of the office, beginning with the communications officer of the Standerton Police, Capt Fanie Nhlabathi, who said he was unaware of anything going on, but would try to find out.

The newspaper’s call to the communications manager of the Lekwa Municipality, Ms Thobeka Mtshiselwa, proved frustrating since she said the licensing department falls under the provincial Department of Public Works, Roads and Transport and she could therefor not comment.

Both landline numbers (013 766 6696 and 013 766 6979) for the provincial department in Mbombela (Nelspruit) rang for an interminable time on Friday without any answer.

Their website indicated the media liaison officer as Mr Mpho Gabashane, with no cell phone number supplied.

With the second call to Capt Nhlabathi at about 12.15pm, it was established that police arrested some suspects, but the charge however, could not be ascertained as well as the number of suspects.

He could however, confirm on Friday afternoon that eight suspects were apprehended in connection with fraud.

According to him, the arrests were a combined effort of the department’s management team and police.

The suspects were in police custody and transported to Secunda.

They were set to appear in court on Monday, 26 August.

Renewal and registration of motor vehicle licences suspended in town. Motorists are advised to use offices in Secunda, Bethal, Morgenzon, Carolina and Piet Retief for these services.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Ridge Times in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button