CrimeNews

Vandals break off photos for their metal frames at Secunda graveyard

The vandals have now moved on to breaking off the photo frames from tombstones

SECUNDA – Graveyards have become fields of easy pickings for thieves in search of metal objects that can be fenced as scrap metal for a quick buck.

These thieves frequently vandalise the Secunda Cemetery and loot anything from copper cable ripped out of buildings to brass photo frames.

People who visit the graves of their loved ones are often traumatised by the callousness of the vandals.

Ridge Times reported on state of the memorial wall at the cemetery earlier this year.

The vandals have now moved on to breaking off the photo frames from tombstones.

Mr Anton Roets visited his daughter’s grave on Sunday, 25 August, and was appalled at the sight of numerous and smashed photos were ripped off tombstones, including that of his daughter.

Although the Govan Mbeki Municipality oversees the operations at the cemeteries in its jurisdiction, the tombstones at the graveyards are the property of the family or whoever bought the grave to bury the deceased.

Mr Donald Green, a spokesman for the Govan Mbeki Municipality, said any damage to a tombstone is the responsibility of the grave owner.

GMM staff work from 8am to 3.45pm at the cemetery, thereafter the area is unattended. The municipality does not employ security guards for the cemetery.

Mr Green said vandalism is a crime and should be reported to the police.

Residents may also report these incidents to the Govan Mbeki Municipality By-Law Enforcement Unit at 017 620 6327 or through the call centre at 0800 6000 01/2/4.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Ridge Times in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button