NewsSchools

COSAS and ANCYL protest at Charterhouse

“ADvTECH, COSAS, the provincial and national departments of education and the general public share the common goal of keeping children safe and finding constructive, healthy ways to promote their development and education.”

On Tuesday, 26 January, the Congress of South African Students (COSAS) alongside members of the ANC Youth League were at Charterhouse School based in Radiokop in their endeavour to shut down private schools in Gauteng.

The protest followed the Department of Basic Education’s (DBE) move to gazette new dates allowing private schools to begin operating from 1 February, and public schools two weeks later.

“We cannot have a school that is open during these difficult times of the pandemic in the country. People are dying and we must save lives; we cannot have schools that are operating outside of the government’s mandate.

“We must have one academic calendar for one education system; you can’t have an education system that is more superior to the other,” said Lindokuhle Xule from the ANC Youth League

ADvTECH responded to the protest by confirming to the Northsider that they have noted with dismay the protest by COSAS outside one of their early childhood development (ECD) campuses at Charterhouse School on Johannesburg’s West Rand.

“Our schools are closed for on-site learning in line with the regulations gazetted on Friday 22 January.

“However, ECD centres are permitted to be open to enable parents to have their children in safe care while they are at work. “We are therefore angered at the displays of intimidation today, particularly as we have been compliant with both the initial request and subsequent directives of the Department of Basic Education and direct approaches from the Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) – whom we have kept informed on the detail of that compliance.

“ADvTECH, COSAS, the provincial and national Departments of Education and the general public share the common goal of keeping children safe and finding constructive, healthy ways to promote their development and education.

“By complying fully with safety protocols, and going beyond them, while complying with directives and requests, our commitment to the best interest of the children we serve has been demonstrated,” said ADvTECH Academic Director, Dr Felicity Coughlan.

Honeydew Police spokesperson, Captain Balan Muthan confirmed that there had been a protest at the school involving members of COSAS alongside the ANC Youth League, and that Honeydew Police and the SAP Crowd Control Unit were on the scene.

“COSAS was under the impression that the school was open, but it actually was not open and not operational.

“These individuals came out there and stood in front of the gate, sang, danced and then dispersed,” said Captain Muthan.

According to ADvTECH, they have engaged with the Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) on the same day as they have done throughout the pandemic.

“We would like to reiterate that our schools are working online until February 1 but, as permitted, our ECD centres are open.

“The well-being and safety of our staff, our young learners and their parents are of the utmost importance and we are considering our options with regard to the current situation,” explained Dr Coughlan.

Gauteng Department of Education spokesperson, Steve Mabona also confirmed that there was a protest at the school based on the assumption that it was operational.

“When we visited the school, we established that they were only operating their ECD centre which caters for younger children. Indeed, there were some parents who wanted to drop off their children but they were barred from doing so.

“As the department we have been saying to all the independent and private schools, they need to adhere to the call for delay.

“We are quite happy with most of the independent schools because they have said yes, they indeed will delay,” said Mabona.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Roodepoort Record in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button