Local newsMunicipalNews

Parkmore braces for further road damage as rainy season arrives to worsen the 10-year sinkhole

With Johannesburg Water denying responsibility and Johannesburg Roads Agency still investigating, Parkmore residents face another rainy season with no repairs and no answers for a 10-year-old sinkhole.

The long-standing sinkhole at the corner of 4th Street and Victoria Avenue in Parkmore has once again sparked confusion and frustration, as city departments continue to pass the buck, leaving residents facing another rainy season with no repairs, no accountability, and still no clear cause.

Johannesburg Water (JW) spokesperson Nombuso Shabalala reaffirmed that the utility is not responsible for the underground water leak feeding the sinkhole. She said JW had investigated the site twice, most recently on October 7, and found that the water causing the erosion was not from a municipal pipeline. “This issue relates to borehole water. It falls outside JW’s operational mandate. Our Zandfontein depot communicated this to the acting Ward councillor Lori Coogan, who was expected to relay this to you.”

Read more: 10-year Parkmore sinkhole blame game continues between city entities

However, Coogan disputed the claim, saying she had not been involved in the matter. “I am not the acting ward councillor for this area, and have not been informed or consulted regarding this sinkhole issue.”

Providing clarity from the community’s side, Parkmore suburb manager, and Ward 90 committee member, Lori Klein said previous assessments confirmed that the water source was not from JW infrastructure, but rather a natural underground spring on private property. “As the community manager, I can confirm that the water is from a natural spring, not a JW pipe. However, this issue has persisted for over a decade, and needs urgent interdepartmental attention. The sinkhole is opening up again, and the coming rains will only make it worse.”

Parkmore suburb manager Lori Klein stands on top of an asphalt patch covering the sinkhole. Photo: Xoliswa Zakwe

Also read: Parkmore sinkhole blame game drags on as city departments pass the buck

Klein urged Johannesburg Roads Agency (JRA) to co-ordinate with other city departments and communicate a realistic plan for reinstating the damaged road between 4th and 5th streets.

Previously, JRA’s regional operations manager Khayalethu Gqibitole said a new service request had been logged, and that exploratory excavations were planned to determine the source of the leak. Since then, however, the situation has only grown murkier, since the water is from a borehole. JRA has not provided an official update.

Talking to the Sandton Chronicle, on October 20, JRA said the regional team is undertaking inspections at the site, and will pump water from the affected session as part of their investigations during the course of the week.

The agency promised to provide detailed feedback on November 1, but no comment was received by the time of print. Updates will be provided once they become available.

Follow us on our WhatsApp channelFacebookXInstagram, and TikTok for the latest updates!

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Sandton Chronicle in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button