Missing Umtentweni woman’s mother calls for action
The family has also raised concerns with the Independent Police Investigative Directorate.
The mother of missing Umtentweni woman Lihle Asemahle Kahla has called on women to do more than listen to her story, urging them to stand with her as the family continues its fight for answers.
Speaking at a DA Women’s Month event on August 9, Ncedisa Amanda Matanda said she was tired of repeatedly being asked to speak about her daughter’s disappearance while the family continued to wait for answers.
Lihle, 23, has been missing since September 21, 2025, when she was last seen at about 19:00 on Umtentweni Country Club Road in Port Shepstone.
Her case was registered at Port Shepstone Saps.
“I am not telling a story from the past. I am living a nightmare in the present,” said Ncedisa.
She said it was painful to be introduced as the mother of a missing person and to see her daughter’s face circulating on social media.
“But today I am not here just to cry,” she said.
“I am here because other mothers are going through this silent torture too.”
Ncedisa called on women to become involved in the family’s campaign rather than simply hearing Lihle’s story.
“Don’t just listen to my story. Carry it,” she said.
“Sign the petition. Come to the police station with me.”
Her comments come as the family steps up its campaign for answers into the handling of Lihle’s disappearance.
A peaceful march was held at Esayidi TVET College Gamalakhe Campus on August 7, and supporters are now planning to march to Port Shepstone police station to hand over a memorandum.

The family has also formally approached the KZN Provincial Commissioner, requesting a provincial investigation and urgent intervention into the case.
In a letter dated August 5, Ncedisa alleges that witness statements containing red flags were not followed up, CCTV footage from Spar Umtentweni was not collected, and a Section 205 application for cellphone records was not executed.
She further alleges that the investigating officer previously assigned to the case has resigned, and that the docket was without an investigating officer for a second time.
The family is requesting a full provincial investigation report, the immediate appointment of a competent senior investigating officer and a written update from Saps KZN on the steps it will take to progress the investigation.
The family has also raised concerns with the Independent Police Investigative Directorate, saying it has not received formal feedback or action.
There is also a petition on Change.org which has attracted 1173 signatures so far.
Ncedisa says the campaign is also about the wider issue of missing women and girls and what she describes as failures in the justice system.

She said she did not want her daughter to become another case number or social media story.
“I love my daughter. Saying her name hurts, but not saying it would kill me,” she said.
“So I will say it one more time today: Lihle Asemahle Kahla. She is not just a case number. She is not just a trending video. She is my child.”
“I will not stop looking for her.”
Her message to those supporting the campaign was simple: “Don’t make me do it alone. Don’t just clap for me. Stand with me.”
Provincial police spokesperson Captain Ntathu Ndlovu said the missing person (Lihle) is still being sought.
“We appeal to anyone with information regarding her whereabouts to contact their nearest police station or Crime Stop on 08600-10111.”
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
