CrimeNews

Released man goes back on killing and rape spree in Oshabeni

A solid case investigated by the police and had all the evidence had been withdrawn by the DPP.

A 31-year-old man, who had been arrested in connection with a murder, rape and robbery on April 5, had the charges withdrawn against him.

His freedom at the hands of the Director of Public Prosecutions at the Durban High Court has turned horribly wrong as the released man went back on a killing and rape spree.

The accused was positively linked by the police through fingerprint and DNA testing when he committed the crime in February 2017.

ALSO READ: Family traumatised after ANC leader’s murder

Since his release, Nkosinathi Alpheus Ngcobo of Tin Town in Oshabeni was arrested once again for murder, rape and house robbery in Oshabeni, Mehlomnyama in June.

In this case it is alleged that a couple was asleep in their rented room at Oshabeni when an unknown man broke the door and entered the premises at about 3.30am.

The intruder allegedly fired a single shot at the man and then raped his girlfriend. The suspect reportedly took the woman’s handbag, which contained money and a cellphone, before fleeing the scene. The man succumbed to his injuries.

Police acted on information received, arrested the accused and recovered an unlicensed firearm and ammunition, as well as cellphones. The firearm will be subjected to ballistic tests to determine if it had been used to commit any other crimes.

With regard to his first arrest, it was disclosed that Ngcobo had gone with the police, pointed out the scene and made a confession. When the docket was placed on the court roll at Port Shepstone Magistrate’s Court, regional court control prosecutor, Sohana Moodley, identified the case as a potential High Court matter.

The Director of Public Prosecutions, after a few weeks, declined to prosecute the accused, without giving reasons. He was released in September 2017 and after his release he committed two further murders with robberies and rape and two further robberies involving a firearm.

Police spokesman, Captain Petros Zenzele Mpinge said they were busy conducting a sensitive investigation regarding the murder case which had been previously withdrawn.

“This office can confirm that this case will be placed on the court roll soon, once the investigation is concluded. It is in this case that the suspect gave an alibi for his fingerprints being found at the crime scene. More information on this case and others will be provided once the investigating officer finalises the case,” said Captain Mpinge.

Ngcobo appeared in court last Thursday and the case was postponed for consultation at the request of the defence.

The Herald found that the accused had a previous conviction and was sentenced in 2015 for possession of drugs and housebreaking and had been released on parole. Police have also linked the accused to further crimes and he has been charged accordingly.

Meanwhile, spokesman for the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), Natasha Kara, regional communications manager, said she acknowledged the receipt of the Herald’s query as to the grounds on which Ngcobo had been released and was looking into the matter.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Check Also
Close
Back to top button