Local news

Protesters plead for forum’s return

At the protest, community members said they were not fighting, but pleading for the forum's reinstatement.

The public believes the Port Shepstone CBD is no longer safe or ‘para-free’ after the Ugu Clean Up Committee (Port Shepstone Forum) stopped patrolling about three weeks ago.

Residents from various areas, including Umzumbe, Mtwalume and St Faiths, gathered in the CBD on Monday morning last week, where they protested to have the forum return for the community’s safety.

A community member holding a placard.

The forum was initiated by the South African National Taxi Council in 2022 after the CBD was overrun with criminal elements, leaving shoppers and businesses vulnerable.

At the protest, community members said they were not fighting but pleading for the forum’s reinstatement.

Bongekile Sithole from Mtwalume said the forum did an excellent job, and the CBD was crime-free, which allowed people to walk around freely to shop as they felt safe.

Members of the Ugu Clean Up Committee arriving for the protest.

The protesters intended to hand a memorandum to the mayor of Ray Nkonyeni Municipality (RNM), Zodwa Mzindle, but it was received by Law Enforcement’s Superintendent Sfiso Ngcaku.

The spokesperson for RNM, Simon April, said relevant stakeholders will be consulted for the matter to be dealt with properly.

The municipality will respond to the community after 14 days.

A large crowd gathered.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button