South Coast Fever

Call to repair Marine Drive in Ramsgate

Bosch says this has become a danger to road users both drivers and pedestrians.

Members of the Democratic Alliance (DA) in Ramsgate took to the street on March 27, to protest against the poor condition of Marine Drive.

The party calls on the KZN Department of Transport (DoT) to clear overgrown vegetation, repair dangerous bridge approaches and provide a clear timeline for the resumption of maintenance.

Marine Drive was upgraded at a cost of R580m, from Confusion Junction in Port Shepstone to Southbroom, and the completion date was set to be January 2026. However, last year, the contractor, Raubex, packed up and left due to non-payment from the DoT.

Ward councillor Alan Bosch, says after the contractor left the community is in a situation where the road is in a poor condition and a danger to both motorists and pedestrians.

“There are sections where pedestrians can’t walk and has become dangerous. This is continuously getting worse and what upsets me the most is that the only activity that has been happening is Tidy Towns trying to do something, but the job is far too

big for a small organisation.”

He added the road has become increasingly hazardous due to overgrown vegetation, lack of verge maintenance, uneven road surfaces and unsafe bridge approaches.

He added that the road needs to be sorted out because the traffic is heavy.

DoT was contacted for comment, but none was received at the time of going to press.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like the South Coast Fever’s Facebook page

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button