Local newsNews

Week34 -25 years ago in the SUN

SIX people died and nine were injured in accidents in what has been described as a ‘black’ weekend on local roads.

Road carnage claims six

SIX people died and nine were injured in accidents in what has been described as a ‘black’ weekend on local roads.

Four of the dead were killed in three separate accidents on Saturday. Two people died in a head-on collision on Kingsway on Saturday night at about 7.30pm. They were Maureen and Johnny van Niekerk. Earlier in the day a woman died and six passengers were seriously injured when the car in which they were travelling left the road and plunged 10 metres over a bridge near Umgababa.


Penny breaks games record

TOTI’s Penny Heyns set a new Commonwealth Games record on Monday in the 100m breaststroke heat.

Penny is considered to be South Africa’s realistic swimming medal hope at the games. However, her record only held for minutes, when in the next heat, Penny’s time of 1.10.22 was beaten by Australia’s Rebecca Brown in 1.10.10.


Big dagga haul

MEMBERS of the Toti SAPS crime prevention unit arrested two suspects and seized 4,6kg of dagga last Tuesday.

The arrests were made near the old Toti drive in at about 9.30am. The dagga, wrapped in individual paper parcels, is thought to have originated in the Umbumbulu area. In another incident, Kingsburgh Protection Services officers arrested two men in Winklespruit on Monday for dealing in and possessing dagga.


Laser devices are not used

LOCAL traffic authorities do not use the laser speed trapping devices that have recently come under fire from the Automotive Association.

Terry Lang, chief of Kingsburgh Protection Services, said his department is planning to wait for the outcome of tests and to see what the courts decide on the laser device. Kingsburgh Protection Services currently use radar and the Truvello device – the system that consists of two strips placed across a road.


Houses burn at Folweni

NINE houses were set alight in the Folweni area last week.

A spokesperson for Toti Fire Department said it was assumed that the fires were caused by petrol bombs. The incidents happened at about 1.30am on Friday. “All nine homes were severely damaged,” said the spokesperson. No-one was injured in the incidents and it is believed the residents had been warned of the attack.

 

 

DID YOU KNOW?
Click on the words highlighted in red to read more on this and related topics.
To receive news links via WhatsApp or Telegram, send an invite to 061 694 6047
The South Coast Sun is also on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest – why not join us there?

Do you have more information pertaining to this story?
Feel free to let us know by commenting on our Facebook page or you can contact our newsroom on 031 903 2341 and speak to a journalist.

To receive our free newsletter click here

(Comments posted on this issue may be used for publication in the Sun)

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Sun in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button