Soweto roads get attention as Operation Restore rolls out in Meadowlands
Johannesburg MMC Kenny Kunene led the launch of Operation Restore, aimed at addressing potholes, vandalism and ageing municipal infrastructure in local communities.

The MMC for Transport, Kenny Kunene, together with the JRA, launched the #OperationRestore (OR) in Zone 3 Meadowlands, Soweto, on April 28.
The OR was started in 2023 by Kunene after noticing a backlog in the infrastructure in communities around Johannesburg. The operation aimed at tackling and prioritising issues such as potholes, storm drains and road signage.
‘’I must admit that most of our infrastructure, such as our water pipes, is old and was installed during apartheid, and the population has increased since then. It makes it difficult for the pipes to withstand so much pressure.
ALSO READ: MMC blames land transfer and demolition for fatal Diepkloof protest
“We also need the community to play a role in protecting our infrastructure, like our traffic lights. They are often stolen,” said Kunene.
Ward 41 Clr Lunga Xuma welcomed the MMC, sharing that it is a pleasure to have him visit the community, as he has previously done work that is commendable.
Thoko Hlatshwayo, a community member, said, ‘’We as a community have been struggling with potholes for a while now. As a Ward 41 committee member, I have reached out to JRA about this issue; however, we have not received a response or resurfacing of the affected roads.”
Kunene pleaded with the community to take care of their infrastructure. An oversight was conducted around the community, where the MMC was made aware of the poor infrastructure that concerns the community.



