Ex-mineworkers in Springs urged to register for compensation programme
The City of Ekurhuleni is calling on ex-mineworkers and their families in Springs to register for a compensation programme before August 22.
The City of Ekurhuleni is inviting all the ex-mineworkers and their families residing in Springs and the surrounding areas to participate in the Ex-Mine Workers Social Security Benefits Programme which is currently in its second phase.
CoE said that the programme is operated by the Gauteng Department of Health in collaboration with the Medical Bureau for Occupational Diseases (MBOD) and other stakeholder organisations.
“Many former mineworkers left the industry without receiving the social security benefits and compensation they deserve. In addition, families of deceased ex-mine workers may also be eligible to claim benefits under this programme,” said CoE.
The metro is taking part in phase two of the programme to reach more ex-mine workers in the area, including in Springs.
Registrations are accepted from 08:00 to 16:00 weekdays until Friday, August 22 at the following locations:
1. Thelle Mogoerane Regional Hospital – Training Centre Hall (Nurses Home Area), Vosloorus
2. Bertha Gxowa Hospital – Dr Clarence Mini Hall (previously Kobie Muller Hall), Germiston
3. Tambo Memorial Hospital – Villa Nerina Hall (adjacent to NHLS Lab), Boksburg
4. Pholosong Hospital – Auditorium and Lapa, Tsakani
Former mineworkers and family members are encouraged to bring:
1. Mineworker’s Identity Card (Makhulu-skop)
2. Official identification document or valid ID
3. Any letters, forms, or documents previously received from mining companies
For more information about the programme and who qualifies, residents can call the MBOD Call Centre on 080 1000 240.



