Local news

Former council speaker breaks silence on ‘Mswati Must Fall’ allegations

Former Emalahleni council speaker Mduduzi Mswati Nkosi says internal investigations cleared him of most of the allegations raised during last year’s “Mswati Must Fall” march.

Former eMalahleni Local Municipality council speaker Mduduzi Mswati Nkosi has addressed allegations surrounding his tenure, more than a year after the ‘Mswati Must Fall’ march in eMalahleni.

Speaking during a media briefing on August 18, Nkosi said he was cleared following an internal ANC investigation into allegations raised against him.

“I was cleared in my organisation. All the organisation councillors were called after the investigation, and that is why I was redeployed,” said Nkosi.

He said he had been investigated on 17 points that had been raised against him.

Protesters demand removal over corruption claims

The comments follow a march held in April last year, when protesters called for Nkosi’s removal as council speaker.

The march, under the banner ‘Mswati Must Fall’, raised several allegations, including claims of money laundering and accusations that Nkosi was contributing to divisions within the ANC.

Redeployed to district municipality

Nkosi’s tenure as council speaker ended in April last year, after which he was redeployed to the Nkangala District Municipality as an MMC responsible for rural development.

ANC Nkangala Regional Secretary Sello Matshoga said the organisation had investigated matters that fell within its mandate.

Read more here:Emalahleni Speaker steps down after weeks of controversy

ANC finds allegations unfounded

“There were allegations that Nkosi influenced the hiring of most people related to him in the municipality. The investigation found no such, and there were no people related to him employed in the municipality,” said Matshoga. “Almost 80% of the issues raised were not true and were unfounded.”

However, he said some of the allegations relating to financial matters were better left to the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs to address. Vusi Ndlovu, the COGTA spokesperson, referred the matter to the municipality.

“As the ANC, we are comfortable with the issues raised by these marchers, to say that none of these issues were linked to Comrade Mswati,” added Matshoga.

Nkosi rejects opposition party offers

Despite the controversy, Nkosi said he had no intention of leaving the ANC, adding that he had received offers from several opposition political parties but remained committed to the governing party.

“I will remain with the ANC and will not leave the organisation because of a small group of people,” Nkosi said.

Your city, your story, as it happens. Stay in the loop with WITBANK NEWS.
Find us on our  websiteFacebook, X,  Instagram or TikTok

Got a tip? Email: info@witbanknews.co.za

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Witbank News in Google News and Top Stories.

Zita Goldswain

News Editor at the Witbank News Caxton stable. Witbank News has been my ‘home’ for the past 24 years. Journalism is the ability to meet the challenge of filling the space true words said by Rebecca West. I meet challenges, get the better of them and fill space with true words.
Back to top button