Local newsNews

Stop-work orders ignored as renovations push ahead on Bulwer Road property

A four-storey building on Bulwer Road is under fire after ignoring two municipal orders to cease construction. Residents are outraged, the Ward councillor is raising red flags, and the city says legal action is underway.

DESPITE two official stop-work orders issued by the eThekwini Municipality, construction work continues at a property on Bulwer Road, where a four-storey building is undergoing renovations — much to the frustration of nearby residents.

The municipality confirmed that both orders were served in July following complaints from residents, who allege the project violates city regulations within the designated Student Accommodation Precinct. Among the concerns raised are unapproved building work, disruptive construction hours, and failure to consult neighbouring property owners.

Last week, Berea Mail visited the site and spoke with a contractor, who insisted that they are not obligated to halt work. “We’re renovating, not rebuilding,” said the contractor, who declined to be named. “Residents are entitled to their opinions, but we’re only upgrading the building — installing new windows and replacing an asbestos roof with tiles. There are no new structures being built. The work will continue while we wait for the final plan approvals.”

Also Read: Pigeon Valley UIP offers pointers on problem properties, planning

He also claimed to be unaware of any stop-work orders. However, municipal spokesperson Gugu Sisilana confirmed the city had taken enforcement action. “The City has issued the relevant contravention notices to the property owner,” said Sisilana. “The first notice was issued on July 2, followed by a second on July 22. The matter has since been referred to law enforcement for prosecution. Rate code changes are currently under consideration, and the Building Inspectorate is actively handling the case.”

Ward 33 councillor Fran Kristopher expressed serious concern over the situation, saying the municipality’s enforcement failure is contributing to ongoing by-law violations. “I have repeatedly contacted the relevant authorities, including the head of department,” said Kristopher. “The response is always the same — delays due to trouble locating owners or judicial backlogs. Meanwhile, the work carries on, unchecked.”

Kristopher also warned that the rapid pace of construction could pose a significant safety risk. “This lawless approach is going to endanger the people who eventually live in these buildings,” she said. “There’s no time given for the concrete to even set. I saw a roof removed and a new one installed just two days later. These rushed renovations are unsafe — not just for future occupants, but for neighbouring properties too.”

The contractor told Berea Mail that renovations are expected to be completed within six to eight weeks. He claimed the units are currently flats and, to his knowledge, not yet designated as student accommodation.

For more from Berea Mail, follow us on Facebook, X and Instagram. You can also check out our videos on our YouTube channel or follow us on TikTok.

Click to subscribe to our newsletter – here

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Berea Mail in Google News and Top Stories.

Sibongiseni Maphumulo

Sibongiseni Maphumulo joined Caxton Local Media in 2024 as a community news journalist, covering the Berea Mail distribution area. She believe in making a positive impact in people's lives through storytelling, as not all news is bad news.

Related Articles

Back to top button