Local newsNews

DUT and NSFAS respond to defunding allegations

As classes resumed today at DUT, following the death of third-year student Sphiwokuhle Madela, the campus remains shaken and in mourning.

DUT has dismissed allegations that third-year BHSc Diagnostic Radiography student Sphiwokuhle Madela took his own life due to being defunded by the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS).

In a short clip circulating on social media the student can be seen holding onto the railing before plummeting to his death earlier this week. Since the incident, speculation has been rife about the reasons behind the student’s death. DUT spokesperson Alan Khan said they were shocked and saddened by the tragic loss of their student.

He addressed the issue of Madela’s student funding: “Sphiwokuhle Madela, a third-year student in the BHSc Diagnostic Radiography programme within the Faculty of Health Sciences, was fully funded by NSFAS. This was confirmed in the last payment file dated August 4, where he was coded as a returning student for both tuition and residence in 2025.

“Importantly, Madela was not part of the NSFAS exceptions file (commonly referred to as ‘defunded students’). We therefore emphasise that this tragedy was not related to funding or academic matters.”

Also Read: DUT mourns tragic loss of student

The defunding allegations were also addressed by NSFAS. In a statement the student funding scheme said, “NSFAS was honoured to fully fund Sphiwokuhle Madela’s studies, and we extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends, and all those affected by this tragic loss.

“This student was fully funded by NSFAS for his studies, and we acknowledge his inclusion in the last payment file dated August 4, 2025. NSFAS is committed to providing support to the family and the university during this challenging time. May his soul rest in peace.”

While the police continue to investigate the matter, Khan said counselling and support are available to students and staff during this difficult time.

For more from Berea Mail, follow us on Facebook, X and Instagram. You can also check out our videos on our YouTube channel or follow us on TikTok.

Click to subscribe to our newsletter – here

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Berea Mail in Google News and Top Stories.

Sibongiseni Maphumulo

Sibongiseni Maphumulo joined Caxton Local Media in 2024 as a community news journalist, covering the Berea Mail distribution area. She believe in making a positive impact in people's lives through storytelling, as not all news is bad news.

Related Articles

Back to top button