Local newsNews

Search continues for missing man at Durban South Beach

Emergency services have intensified air, sea and shoreline search efforts after a 22-year-old man went missing in the surf at Durban South Beach on Thursday morning.

SEARCH and rescue teams are continuing operations at Durban South Beach following the disappearance of a 22-year-old man from the Eastern Cape who went missing in the surf zone early on Thursday morning.

National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) Durban Station Commander Etienne van Zyl said SAPS Search and Rescue and Metro Police Search and Rescue, supported by eThekwini lifeguards, have been conducting ongoing search efforts since the incident was reported on Thursday. He said they joined thee mission after being alerted to the incident while carrying out routine training at sea.

“At around 08:00 on Thursday, January 1, while NSRI Durban were conducting routine training at sea onboard the NSRI Durban rescue craft Spirit of Surfski 6, the crew were activated by Police Search and Rescue to assist at Durban South Beach,” van Zyl said.

He explained that multiple agencies were already involved in the operation when NSRI arrived on scene. “At that time, the South African Police Service, Police Search and Rescue, Metro Police Coastal and Tourism Unit, and eThekwini lifeguards were searching for a 22-year-old male from the Eastern Cape who had reportedly gone missing in the surf zone earlier that morning,” he said.

Also Read: Drowning tragedy at New Beach, paramedics issue safety warning

The NSRI rescue craft immediately diverted to the area and joined the extensive search, which was later supported by a Police Air Wing helicopter conducting aerial sweeps of the coastline. “Despite extensive air, sea, and shoreline searches, there remain no signs of the missing man,” van Zyl said.

Authorities have confirmed that search operations are ongoing, with teams continuing to scan the area in the hope of locating the missing swimmer. “Thoughts and care are with the family and friends of the missing man during this difficult time,” van Zyl added.

Search and rescue services have urged the public to exercise caution when entering the ocean, particularly in areas with strong surf conditions.

For more from Berea Mail, follow us on Facebook, X and Instagram. You can also check out our videos on our YouTube channel or follow us on TikTok.

Click to subscribe to our newsletter – here

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Berea Mail in Google News and Top Stories.

Sibongiseni Maphumulo

Sibongiseni Maphumulo joined Caxton Local Media in 2024 as a community news journalist, covering the Berea Mail distribution area. She believe in making a positive impact in people's lives through storytelling, as not all news is bad news.

Related Articles

Back to top button