CrimeNews

SAPS destroys over 35 000 firearms

To report crime or unlicensed firearms-related matters, you can contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111 or send a tip-off on the MySAPS app

The SAPS has destroyed approximately 35 069 firearms which were confiscated, surrendered or forfeited to the state between December 1, 2019, and May 31, 2020.

The termination of the firearms took place at Cape Gate Wire and Steel Manufacturers in Vanderbijlpark on January 28.

According to police spokesperson Col Brenda Muridili, a total of 9 918 of the destroyed firearms were voluntarily surrendered during the 2019/2020 firearm amnesty period last year.

“These firearms have been ABIS tested and they haven’t been linked to a pending firearm application or criminal investigation. The rest of the firearms were confiscated by the police during intelligence-driven operations as well as tip-offs received from community members,” Muridili said.

Furthermore, Muridili added a notice was also published in the Government Gazette on December 31, as per section 136 (2) of the above-mentioned Act.

“Interested parties who had a valid claim to the relevant firearms or ammunition were invited to make representations within 21 days after the publication of the notice in the Gazette to the registrar as to why the identified firearms or ammunition should not be destroyed. However, no representation was received by the end of the mandatory 21 days,” she said.

The SAPS is appealing to the public to report any knowledge of individuals who are in possession of unlicensed firearms by calling the Crime Stop number on 08600 10111 or send a tip-off on the MySAPS app.

Callers may remain anonymous and all information received will be treated with confidentiality.

Also Read: Time is running out: Surrender illegal firearms and dodge the bullet

Also Read: Three suspects nabbed with illegal firearms

   

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Boksburg Advertiser in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button