Local newsNews

Homeless families take shelter at Anzac traffic circle

Concern is growing as families live exposed to the elements, raising serious questions about safety, hygiene, and the lack of action.

With nowhere to go following a fire that destroyed their homes, a group of former residents of the Plastic City informal settlement have moved themselves and what little belongings they have to the Anzac traffic circle.

The occupation of this site, which has now been dubbed Plastic Circle, is raising concerns.

Many have questioned why no action has been taken to address the situation, as well as the uncertainty surrounding whether the individuals will be allowed to continue living there.

Worries have been expressed about the safety of the group, especially the children, as traffic levels on the road are relatively high. In addition, inclement weather has set in.


Mattresses, blankets, and personal items lie exposed. PHOTO: Thelma Koorts

Clothing was recently seen drying on the palisade fencing of Anzac Primary School – a sight that sparked concern among community members.

This also raised concerns about sanitation conditions and the absence of facilities for individuals to attend to their personal hygiene needs.

The Brakpan Herald visited the site on Monday afternoon and found a small group of women and a young child gathered around a smouldering brazier, trying to keep warm.

They said they were burning pieces of wood and tree bark to dry themselves and to get some warmth after the rain soaked most of their belongings.


ALSO READ: Plastic City residents flee in fear amid gunfire and blaze


A 50-year-old woman with whom the Herald spoke said she had been living at the circle since the fire destroyed her home, leaving her with only the clothes she was wearing.

She had lived in Plastic City for the past 10 years. According to her, there are currently about 15 adults and 10 children living in makeshift shelters on the circle.

She said that even if she had the opportunity to go back to the settlement, she would have to think carefully about it because they are terrified to return.

“It is not safe. We still hear gunfire sometimes, and we are very scared,” she said.

She explained that their living conditions are dreadful, and that the heavy rain on Sunday and Monday made the situation much worse.

“We do not have proper shelter to protect the mattresses and little blankets we have, so everything became wet. The children could not even go to school because they did not have dry clothes.”

She also raised concern about another woman who is heavily pregnant and due to give birth any day.

“She also stays here on the circle, and I do not know what she is going to do.”

Asked if they were not afraid at night of the possibility of a car ploughing into them, the woman said they had no choice.

“We have nowhere to go, and at least here we feel a bit safer.”

She explained that sometimes they receive food from the public but they have very little to eat on a daily basis.

The City of Ekurhuleni acknowledges the urgency of the situation.


Among the belongings are children’s toys, underscoring the presence of young lives affected by the dire living conditions. PHOTO: Thelma Koorts

“This matter cuts across departments. It is a sorry state of affairs and one that the city considers a matter of urgency,” said CoE spokesperson Zweli Dlamini.

When asked if there have been any by-law enforcement action taken regarding the occupation of the traffic circle, Dlamini confirmed that regular police operations and inspections are conducted.

As for relocation plans, he told the Herald that affected South African households will be accommodated in the Mgongo informal settlement (Location Road). He also confirmed that no basic services are available to the people living at the circle.

In response to a question about provisions in municipal regulations for engaging with child welfare or social development agencies in such cases, Dlamini explained that one of the objectives of the Children’s Act 38 of 2005, section 2 (g) is to provide care and protection to children who are in need of such.

Section 4 (1) states that this Act must be implemented by organs of state in the national, provincial and, where applicable, local spheres of government subject to any specific section of this Act and regulations allocating roles and responsibilities, in an integrated, co-ordinated and uniform manner.

“The social development division of the city has sent a team of social workers and other stakeholders to assess and profile the affected people in the area in order to determine possible interventions,” he added.


ALSO READ: City steps up efforts to curb crime and unrest in Plastic City

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Brakpan Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Thelma Koorts

Thelma Koorts is an editor with a passion for delivering high-quality editorial services that meet the evolving needs of readers and clients. She currently serves as the editor for the Brakpan Herald, Springs Advertiser, African Reporter, and Heidelberg Nigel Heraut. With over 30 years of experience in journalism, her goal is to keep readers informed and updated through informative news from the community to the community.

Related Articles

Back to top button