Last night I went to bed feeling okay and looking forward to the week ahead. However, when I woke up this morning, something seemed to be wrong, I guess it’s what people mean when they say someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. On my way to work, I received bad news. Nothing that cannot be fixed; however, bad enough for my colleague to assume my mood was telling me something bad would happen today.
That’s when he caught my attention, and started telling how he believes the human body is, in itself, a prophet, as it usually tells you when something good or bad is about to happen. We just decide to ignore it or take it seriously.
A few weeks back, I told my sister my right upper eyelid had been twitching the whole day and that it meant I would receive good news. She did not quite believe me but she did not want to crush my spirit either, so responded with, “Oh that’s nice.” The following day, I received a phone call from someone bearing good news.
This got me thinking about all the other prophetic ‘signs’ your body gives you.
Here are some things we’ve heard about our sensory reactions and what they might mean:
- If your nose is itchy, someone is talking about you.
- If you drop a fork, a woman will visit you, and if it’s a knife, a man will visit you.
- If you get goosebumps, it means someone is walking over your (future) grave.
- If you bite your tongue while chewing, it means the food was very well-cooked.
- If your right upper eyelid twitches, you’ll either receive good news or see a woman you have not seen in a while.
- If your left upper eyelid twitches, you will see a man you have not seen in a while.
- If either one of your bottom eyelids twitches, you will cry.
- If your bottom lip twitches, something bad will happen.
- For some, waking up in the middle of the night for two consecutive nights for no reason, means someone close to you will die.
- If the sole of your foot is itchy, you’ll step on poo.
- If you’re walking to a place and you stumble on a rock, you will not find the person or place you’re looking for.
- If your ears are itchy, someone is gossiping about you.
- If you throw money at someone, you are throwing bad luck at them.
- If you walk between two people, you take their bad luck with them.
- If you get your period on your wedding day, it’s a sign of bad luck.
- Some people believe that, if your palm is itchy, it is a sign they will receive money.
Tell us what we missed about sensory reactions and what they mean in the comments below.
Note that these are mere beliefs, not facts.