Engage in 2D and 3D art
The exhibition opens on Monday at the Mackie Street Gallery of the Association of Arts Pretoria.
Since 2011 – after the 17th general assembly of the International Association of Arts accepted the proposal to declare April 15 World Art Day – it has become a way for artists to engage with communities.
At the Association of Arts Pretoria, the day marks the opening of an exceptional exhibition, Engage 2019. The central theme is the informal collaboration between invited artists who work in 2D or 3D.
Each artist is assigned to another artist and asked to work in collaboration. The result is creation – which is what it needs to be at the forefront.
In South Africa, a number of art competitions annually report growing entrants into competitions. The latest was the announcement of a record number of entries and finalists in the PPC Imaginarium Awards.
On Tuesday night, it was announced that 65 entries made it through to the final round of judging.
The PPC Imaginarium Awards is a Business and Arts South Africa (Basa) award-winning programme which has a six-category entry field that grew out of the previous and long-standing PPC Young Concrete Sculptors competition, which solely focused on sculpture.
The PPC Imaginarium Awards looks more broadly at forms of sculpture, architecture, industrial design, fashion, jewellery and film that include cement in an innovative way.
The exhibition opens on Monday at the Mackie Street Gallery of the Association of Arts Pretoria. It runs for a month, until May 15. For more information visit artspta.co.za
An exhibition of the finalists is currently on at the University of Johannesburg Art Gallery, Auckland Park Kingsway Campus. The exhibition ends on May 15. For more information, visit ppcimaginarium.co.za
Collaborations at Engage 2019
- Allen Laing and Heidi Fourie.
- Gordon Froud and Diane Victor.
- Carol Kühn and Avitha Sooful.
- Nicholas Prinsloo and Danelle Janse van Rensburg.
- Lawrence Lemaoana and Mary Sibande.
- Stephen Hobbs and Bronwyn Millar.
- Johann Nortje and Leanne Olivier.
- Lothar Bottcher and Nicki Bottcher.
- Hannelie Coetzee and Reney Warrington.
- Francois Visser and Lizanne Visser.
- Andre Otto and Lizel Otto.
- Dylan Graham and Alet Pretorius.
- Retha Buitendach and Kathy Eales.
- Lourens Ferreira and Lala Crafford.
- Janus Fouche and Mienke Fouche.
- Izanne Wiid and Sunet Ferreira.