Satawu Mpumalanga contemplates massive protest
He added that the company also committed to the establishment of a stakeholder forum to police the deviant and delinquent behaviour of service providers to the DCSSL regarding industrial relation issues.
ERMELO – The South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (Satawu) received response from one security company after the union’s members served two out of four of these companies with a memorandum listing its demands on October 19.
Highvelder previously reported that Satawu voiced its discontent with these security companies.
Mr Solomon Mahlangu, the secretary of Satawu Mpumalanga, said the march was directed at the Department of Community Safety, Security and Liaison (DCSSL), as well as the four security companies.
The four security companies in question are Blue Lion Security, Skets Projects, Mafoko Security Patrols and African Renaissance.
According to Mr Mahlangu, Blue Lion Security and Skets Projects collected the memorandum on October 19.
However, only Skets Projects responded to the memorandum.
According to him, in the response received from Skets Projects, the company committed to pay outstanding bonuses and annual leave in two tranches on November 15 and December 15.
Skets Projects further indicated to Satawu that “the company is ambivalent about recognising the union”.
The company put out a general statement that they remained committed to act in accordance with the Labour Relations Act and recognises unions that meet the threshold in terms of labour laws.
Mr Mahlangu said, “The issue of the company recognising the union is long overdue.”
He added that the company also committed to the establishment of a stakeholder forum to police the deviant and delinquent behaviour of service providers to the DCSSL regarding industrial relation issues.
According to him, Satawu Mpumalanga is contemplating a massive march to the government complex in Mbombela.
He concluded that the protest was aimed at all the parties which did not pitch up to receive the memorandum, including the department itself.
Highvelder sent media enquiries to all of the four security companies and awaits response.



