Local news

Nehawu demands resignation of CEO of Ermelo Provincial Hospital

Nehawu members and Ermelo Provincial Hospital workers demands that the CEO, Jantjie Aphane, to step down with immediate effect.

ERMELO – Members of Nehawu led a demonstration at the Ermelo Provincial Hospital on August 15.

They demanded that the hospital’s CEO, Jantjie Aphane, be removed from his position with immediate effect.

The protest, which was also joined in by the hospital workers, started at the hospital gates and commenced onto the premises.

Nehawu’s regional secretary, Jimmy Motha, said they want Aphane to step down due to his alleged dictatorial leadership, interfering with operational matters and practising nepotism.

“There are several aspects of his leadership that workers are unhappy and fed up with. He does not want workers who were initially hired as general workers to apply for recently advertised posts, because they previously did not have qualifications, even matric. He asked them where they had gotten their qualifications, as if it is not possible for them to further their studies while working in the hospital,” Motha said.

He said there is currently six vacancies that have not been filled, which await Aphane’s approval for the workers to be hired.

The Nehawu members aired their frustrations and dissatisfaction in a meeting with the chief director of hospital services, Mpho Mogale, the deputy director of labour relations, Thabiso Manamela, and other stakeholders.

According to Motha, they were advised to raise their concerns in writing and submit the written document to the branch management, which will direct it to the region to review and possibly have further action taken against Aphane.

“The workers are happy with the outcome of the meeting. The only thing that is left to do is to submit the document today (August 15) so that he can be suspended with immediate effect. We have had enough.”

Services were slowed down as hospital workers engaged in the demonstration.

Highvelder send an inquiry to department of health spokesperson, Dumisani Malamule and awaits a response, readers will be updated on the outcome.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Highvelder News in Google News and Top Stories.

Wayne van der Walt

Wayne van der Walt, with around 15 years in the media industry, is editor of Highvelder Newspaper. His accolades include Frewin Awards for Newspaper of the Year and Front Page of the Year, and FCJ Photographer of the Year, among other honours.

Related Articles

Back to top button