BUSINESS owners in Pinetown are outraged after the eThekwini Transport Authority recently commenced with the construction of the GO!DURBAN fully integrated rapid public transport network (IRPTN), claiming the authority didn’t follow proper procedures.
Delayne Gray, the managing director of SBS estates, claimed that the municipality started “a massive” excavating project on his privately owned property, on Shepstone Road, without any verbal or written consent.
“I know of several other businesses owners along Shepstone Road who have also not received any communication from the municipality. We would like to get to the bottom of what is on the table and what kind of structures will be built. We are concerned about the impact that the project will have on our investments,” said Gray.
According to Gray, he only found out about the excavation plans that the municipality had for his property in November last year when he noticed construction workers drawing up sketches in front of his property.
“I do not want to stand in the way of progress, but the issue here is that proper protocols and procedures were not followed. Certain procedures were simply omitted. I am not just going to remain idle. I am going to stand up for myself and other people who will also be affected by a massive development project that they were not made aware of,” said Gray.
Gray emailed officials in December last year with a letter of objection and a request to set up a meeting to discuss and explore any alternative options that would be available to him. By February he received a response claiming that they are investigating options to reduce the impact on Gray’s property. The first meeting was held on Wednesday 14 May, after the excavation had begun.
According to Carlos Esteves, deputy head of road system management, the IRPTN project was advertised in relevant media during the preliminary design process and several public meetings were held as required before the council approved the project.
“When the design was approaching finalisation a special effort was embarked on to notify all affected parties. A public meeting was scheduled for 19 November 2013, at Lahee Park Sports Club. Notification of this meeting was advertised in the local press and via the local chamber of commerce and business associations. Printed invitations were also hand delivered at each property during the week 11 to 15 November 2013,” said Esteves.
When asked about the fact that Gray’s private property was excavated without his consent, Esteves responded, “The site teams are under strict instruction not to enter any property without the consent of the owner. In Mr Gray’s case the site teams obtained permission to start with excavation from the people inside the building. The team was not aware, nor were they told, that they are only tenants and not the owners. We apologised to Mr Gray for this misunderstanding and this matter is being addressed to mitigate against it re-occuring.”
Esteves urged business owners who feel they have not clearly or properly been informed to contact the project team.



