THREE alleged hijackers were killed in KwaDabeka after a shoot-out with police on Saturday evening.
According to KZN spokesman, Col Thembeka Mbhele, the Provincial Task Team members were conducting an operation in KwaDabeka aimed at preventing criminal activities when they spotted a car with five men.
ALSO READ: #CrimeStats: Your car is now safer in Queenburgh than it was a year ago
“Police instructed the men to stop but the occupants fired gunshots at the police with pistols and rifles. Police retaliated, killing three of them. Two other suspects managed to flee on foot and police are still searching for them. Three pistols were recovered from the men,” said Mbhele.
Police investigations discovered the car that the men were driving was hijacked in Newlands West earlier this month.
A case of attempted murder was opened at KwaDabeka police station for investigation.
ALSO READ: Axe and crowbar gangs invade Malvern homes
KwaZulu-Natal acting provincial commissioner, Major General Bheki Langa, said they were thrilled police officers escaped the shooting unscathed and managed to remove illegal firearms from the criminals.
“The recovered firearms will be subjected to ballistic testing to ascertain if they were used in any other crime in the country. We will ensure the suspects who fled are apprehended immediately,” he said.
Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname (ONLY) to 060 532 5409.
You can also join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have signed up for our news alerts you need to save the Highway Mail WhatsApp number as a contact to your phone, otherwise you will not receive our alerts


