500 g stewing beef, cut into small cubes
1 onion, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 cup Pouyoukas chickpeas, prepared as per pack instructions
1 cup Pouyoukas green lentils, prepared as per pack instructions
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp olive oil
½ cup pasta
1 can of tomato paste
8 cups stock
2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1-2 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1. Heat oil in a large pot. Saute onion, celery and garlic until translucent.
2. Add beef, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, paprika, cumin and coriander to pot. Stir to toast the spices and brown the beef, for approximately 2-3 minutes.
3. Pour in stock, carrots, chickpeas, lentils and tomato paste, and stir well.
4. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5. Add the pasta and let cook 8-10 minutes. Soup will thicken.
6. Add salt and pepper.
7. Finely chop the fresh parsley and save a bit for garnish.
8. Roughly chop a handful of spinach and add to pot with the herbs. Once spinach has wilted, the soup is ready.
Brought to you by Food and Home