Create this sweet and tasty classic trifle to enjoy tonight for dessert with your loved ones.
The recipe is created using strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, but you can add any of your favourite fresh fruits to compliment your trifle.
- 1 x 85g packet of raspberry jelly
- 420g (approximately 6 cups) of store bought sponge rolls
- 4 tablespoons of cranberry juice
- 500g (approximately 4 cups) of fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
- 480ml (2 cups) of store bought custard
- 360ml (1½ cup) of whipped cream
ALSO READ: Recipe of the day: Delicious noodle bake
- Make your raspberry jelly in advance according to the packet instructions. Pour jelly into a small rectangle or square baking tin, so it’s roughly 1 inch high. Leave it in the fridge to set.
- Begin by prepping your ingredients. Chop your strawberries in half and then combine with raspberries and blueberries. Roughly chop your sponge cake into ½ inch slices. And chop your jelly (once set) into 1 inch squares.
- To assemble, line the bottom of a 12-cup trifle bowl with half (approximately 3 cups) of your cake slices. Press slices up along the sides of the bowl (see photo below). Drizzle cake slices with 2 tablespoons of cranberry juice.
- Add one third (approximately 1⅓ cups) of the fresh berries on top of the cake, along with half of the jelly squares. Then, pour over 1 cup of custard.
- Add another layer of cake using the remaining cake slices, drizzling over 2 tablespoons of cranberry juice. Then, add one third of the fresh fruit and the remaining jelly squares.
- Pour over another 1 cup of custard. Scatter the remaining fruit over the top. Cover the top with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for at least 4-6 hours or even better, overnight.
- When you’re ready to serve, add whipped cream on top.
This recipe was found on sweetestmenu.com