What is a Christmas gathering without the famous traditional steamed pudding recipe?
Made with a variety of fresh seasonal fruits and mixed spices, this steamed Christmas pudding is super flavourful and packed with many different mouthwatering aromas.
Add this treat to the list of desserts and dishes which you can recreate this festive season for yourself and your loved ones.
Traditional steamed Christmas pudding recipe
- 2 cups of mixed dried fruit
- Half a cup of dried cranberries
- Three-quarter cup of pitted dried dates, chopped
- Quarter cup of diced dried apricots
- 1 cup of sultanas
- Half a cup of red glacé cherries, quartered
- 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 125g of butter, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoon of finely grated orange rind
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 cup of self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoon of mixed spice
- Quarter cup of brandy
- Fresh cherries
- Icing sugar mixture
- Grease an 8-cup-capacity metal pudding steamer. Line base with baking paper.
- Place mixed dried fruit, cranberries, dates, apricots, sultanas, cherries, sugar, butter and 1 cup cold water in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until butter has melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in bicarbonate of soda. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Stir in orange rind, egg, flours, mixed spice and brandy until well combined. Spoon into prepared steamer. Smooth top. Secure lid. Place steamer in a large saucepan. Carefully pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up side of steamer. Cover pan. Place over medium heat. Boil for 4 hours 30 minutes, topping up boiling water during cooking.
- Remove pan from heat. Carefully lift steamer from water. Stand for 10 minutes. Remove lid. Turn out pudding. Decorate with cherries and dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or cold with custard.
This recipe was found on taste.com.au