Liver is a very popular dish around the world – especially chicken livers on toast for breakfast. Lambs’ liver and beef or ox liver shouldn’t be forgotten though, as these meat cuts can also be really tender and delicious when cooked properly.
It’s also not a very expensive cut of meat, making it the perfect choice when you are on the ‘very end of the month Salticrax’ stage of your budget.
This delicious dinner favourite of ox liver with tomato relish and pap will bring comfort to the whole family, plus it’s super healthy for you as liver is one of the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet, containing significant amounts of folate, iron, vitamin B, Vitamin A and copper.
All of that, and this ox liver recipe is also really quick to prepare.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Knorrox beef soya mince
- 500g ox liver or sheep liver
- 10ml steak and chop spice
- 6 cups (1.5) ml water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 litre (4 cups) maize meal
- 30ml (2 tbsp) margarine
- 15ml (1 tbsp) crushed chillies
- Heat the oil and fry the onion rings until soft. Add the tomatoes and soya mince.
- Remove the membrane from the liver. Cut the liver into strips as thick as your little finger.
- Season with Steak & Chop Spice.
- In a separate pan, heat oil and stir-fry until the liver is just done. Add extra sunflower oil if necessary. Combine the cooked liver strips and tomato and onion mixture.
- Bring water and Chicken Stock Cube to the boil, add the margarine and maize meal and stir into boiling water.
- Simmer for 45 minutes on low heat until done.
- Stir in the crushed chillies.
- Serve the liver mixture hot with pap and salad.
This recipe was found on whatsfordinner.co.za.