Who doesn’t love a delicious creamy potato bake as a side dish when you are having a braai? Often it’s the best part of the entire meal.
Unfortunately it’s not always the healthiest.
The great news is that you don’t have to live on salad alone. Even though the below potato bake recipe is a healthier version of your favourite creamy recipe, no one will even know that you improvised to cut back on calories.
It might even become your family’s new favourite!
- 50g margarine
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 375ml light and creamy evaporated milk
- 500g potatoes, unpeeled cut into 2mm thick slices
- 1kg sweet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 2mm thick slices
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh sage leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan (or vegetarian hard cheese)
- 2bsp seed mix (pepitas and sunflower seeds)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Grease a deep oval roasting pan.
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth and combined. Cook, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Season well with salt and pepper. Pour into base of prepared dish.
- Place potato, sweet potato, sage and garlic in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Arrange potato slices, standing upright, in prepared dish, alternating between varieties. Spoon remaining garlic and sage mixture between potato slices. Sprinkle with parmesan (or vegetarian hard cheese) and seed mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with baking paper, then foil. Bake for 50 minutes. Uncover. Bake for a further 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and tender. Stand for 10 minutes. Serve.
This recipe was found on taste.com.au.