Sundays are the most opportune days to gather the whole family and spend some quality time together. What is a family gathering without a delicious, hearty and filling Sunday meal?
Recreate this flavourful Jamaican jerk chicken recipe for yourself and the family, which you will all be sure to love.
Jamaican jerk chicken
- 6 chicken legs
- 4-6 Scotch Bonnet peppers, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 stalks scallions, ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup orange juice
- Juice from half a lime
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or use fresh if available
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the jerk marinade, add all of the marinade ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Next, poke some holes in your chicken with a knife to let the marinade permeate more deeply.
- Set the chicken into a large bowl or a sealable baggie. Pour the marinade over the chicken and rub it down. You can completely cover the chicken with the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate. Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours, though you’ll get more flavour penetration if you plan and refrigerate overnight. Discard marinade.
- To braai the chicken. Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grill grates. Grill the chicken for 12-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. It should measure 165 degrees F internally.
- To bake the chicken. Heat your oven to 204 degrees C. Bake the chicken for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. It should measure 165 degrees F internally. Grilling is more traditional, but baking is easy.
- Remove from heat and serve.
This recipe was found on chilipeppermadness.com