With December around the corner and bikini season in full swing, getting help to lose 5kg in six weeks could be just what you need.
Aside from looking good, you will also feel healthier. Why six weeks? Well, it will help to develop good habits for the long run and six weeks takes you right up to the festive season, so you’re beach and pool ready!
Chandre Mare, a personal trainer in the Bryanston area in Johannesburg, explains how you can go about losing those last few kilos in six weeks – just in time for that December getaway. And she knows what she’s talking about – she helped a client recently lose 30kg.
“I think living a healthy lifestyle is the most important part but here are my top-six tips to lose those extra few kilos before summer.”
She says starting with these six simple tips will go a long way toward losing weight.
Increase water intake
Ideally, between 2.5-3 litres of water daily. Make it a habit to have a glass of water with each meal.
Move your body
For at least 30 minutes daily, take a walk, hit the gym or try that Zumba class you’ve been eyeing out for a while.
Don’t skip breakfast
This is the most important meal of the day. The word literally means “breaking your fast” and it’s a great way to kickstart your metabolism.
Make sure you get between 7-9 hours of sleep as this is the time your body regenerates and prepares you for the next day.
Instead of eating three large meals a day, eat five or six smaller meals. This will keep your glucose levels at a steady rate and helps reduce the feeling of fatigue throughout the day. Eating smaller meals helps keep your metabolism running throughout the day.
Prioritise meal prep
Prepare your meals for the week to ensure you stay on track with your eating. This should help reduce the amount takeaways you have as you will already have food cooked.
You can try TikTok, Instagram for meal prep ideas where you will find hundreds of videos of meal-prep ideas and hacks to make it easy.
What are foods you should avoid or include in your diet?
- Avoid oily and fried food, fast foods, refined sugars, sugary cool drinks, pastries, cookies and cakes.
- Avoid processed meats such as viennas and polony.
- Add a fruit or vegetable to every meal, even though carbs are frowned upon in today’s society. It’s important to include healthy carbs in your diet to fuel your body. Therefore, make have brown rice instead of white rice, multigrain or rye bread instead of white bread, sweet potato instead of normal potatoes. These examples allow you to still get your carbs in. Include lean versions of meat wherever possible.
Exercise to lose 5 kgs in 6 weeks
- Compound exercises should be included as they will help work more than one muscle group at a time such as squats and lunges. These include bench/chest presses, shoulder presses, deadlifts, pull-ups, squats and lunges.
- Cardio exercises such as jumping jacks, side shuffles, skipping, running and walking.
- High intensity interval training (HIIT) will help you burn more calories in a shorter time period and ensures the heart rate is elevated.
Simple things to help you reach your goal
- Write down weekly goals
- Reach your step goal for the day. Ideally, 10,000 steps.
- Drink more water
- Get enough sleep
- Limit caffeine intake
- Most importantly be patient. Consistency is key in your weight-loss journey.