News

19-year-old arrested for rape

A 19-year-old man was arrested for allegedly raping a four-year-old girl in Extension 6, Mhluzi.

The Mhluzi Police arrested the man on Saturday after a case of rape was opened by the four-year-old’s mother.

The mother told the Mhluzi Police that she left her daughter in the care of her landlord to go to a hair salon.

When she came back from the hair salon, she saw her daughter standing with the suspect. The woman said she called her daughter and told her to go and sit inside the house, but the four-year-old refused to sit down and told her mother that she was in pain.

After checking her daughter, the woman noticed that she was not wearing underwear.

The four-year-old then told her mother that she had been raped.

Mhluzi Police spokesperson, Thabitha Leshilo, said the suspect made his first court appearance on Monday.

 

 

* Notice: Coronavirus reporting at Caxton Local Media aims to combat fake news

Dear reader,

As your local news provider, we have the duty of keeping you factually informed on Covid-19 developments.

As you may have noticed, mis- and disinformation (also known as “fake news”) is circulating online.

Caxton Local Media is determined to filter through the masses of information doing the rounds and to separate truth from untruth in order to keep you adequately informed. Local newsrooms follow a strict pre-publication fact-checking protocol.

A national task team has been established to assist in bringing you credible news reports on Covid-19.

Readers with any comments or queries may contact National Group Editor Irma Green (irma@caxton.co.za) or Legal Adviser Helene Eloff (helene@caxton.co.za).

Do you have a news lead?

Contact our editorial office on 013 243 1434 or our standby number for emergencies on 072 248 3855 to share your story with us.

Follow us on the Middelburg Observer Facebook group or page or send a whatsapp to 072 248 3855 with the words “add me” for the latest news.

 

 

 

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Middelburg Observer in Google News and Top Stories.

Tiisetso Malunga

I have been working as a journalist/photographer since 2018 at the Middelburg Observer. Before joining Caxton I was a Journalism Student at the Tshwane University of Technology. I was also a broadcasting intern at the SABC in Pretoria. In my first year as a journalist I was awarded the Upcoming Journalist of the Year at the O H Frewin awards. My motto in life is ‘I am human before anything’ with that being said I am driven by human stories and I am a strong believer in justices and human rights.
Back to top button