News

Abandoned vehicle of missing elderly reported to SAPS on Tuesday

Missing 80-year-old Jeff Clapperton would have been found much sooner if police responded to tip-offs.

The cause of Mr Clapperton’s death remains unknown while his family awaits autopsy results to determine what led to his demise.

The six-day-long search for the missing pensioner came to an end on Saturday after a farmer situated 20 km outside eMalahleni called the Middelburg Observer’s office to report that Jeff’s vehicle was abandoned on the farm road.

Phillip Tlau made the call to Middelburg Observer on Friday morning after the Witbank SAPS failed to follow up on the information he gave them days before.

After Phillip’s information was relayed to Jeff’s daughter, Jayne Lombaard, the family instantly rushed to the farm on the R554 where the abandoned white Atos was confirmed to belong to Jeff.

Phillip explained that herdsman on the farm saw a man fitting Jeff’s description walking away from the vehicle after it got trapped in the sand.

A search party was arranged for the Saturday morning, after the K9 used by Police to search for Jeff’s trail yielded no results.
Jeff’s body was then found within a kilometre’s radius from his vehicle.

Jayne told the Middelburg Observer that the family has no answers on how her father found himself on the farm or what the cause of death may be.

“The carton of cigarettes he bought for his wife, his wallet with all of his cards in and his jersey were found untouched in his vehicle, which makes the possibility of him being robbed unlikely. An autopsy will be conducted to determine whether foul play can be expected.”

Mr Tlau told the family that they noticed the abandoned vehicle on Tuesday last week.

After reporting the vehicle to the Witbank SAPS telephonically, Phillip drove to the police station to report it in person as well, but still the SAPS failed to respond.

The SAPS finally drove out to the scene on Friday after multiple efforts by the family and the Middelburg Observer to report the abandoned vehicle were made.

• On behalf of the family, Janye wished to thank Phillip Tlau for coming forward with the information that helped them locate her father as well as every person who participated in the search party or who offered support during the family’s difficult time.

Also read:

Body of missing 80-year-old found

Missing 80-year-old’s vehicle found abandoned on farm

Leads run dry on 80-year-old’s disappearance

WATCH: Missing 80-year-old last seen at filling station

80-year-old disappears without a trace, family launches frantic search

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Middelburg Observer in Google News and Top Stories.

Sjani Campher

Sjani has been working as a community journalist and photographer at the Middelburg Observer since 2018, during which she has been responsible for the content creation for both digital and print, as well as maintaining the publication's online platforms. She is a member of the Forum for Community Journalists, and focuses on fields including hard news, investigative reporting, human interest, columns and sports.
Back to top button