CrimeNews

Investigation into constables’ Hennops River deaths still active, key reports pending

National Police spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe says the investigation cannot be concluded until critical reports—blood alcohol, toxicology, and histology—are received.

The investigation into the mysterious deaths of three police constables whose bodies were discovered in the Hennops River remains open, with authorities awaiting crucial forensic reports before concluding.

National Police spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe confirmed on September 29 that preliminary post-mortem results have been received, but emphasised that the probe is far from over.

Read more: JDA pushes ahead with Ivory Park new health facility

The case involves Constable Keamogetswe Buys (30), Constable Boipelo Senoge (20), and Constable Cebekhulu Linda (24), whose bodies were recovered from the river near Midrand on April 29.

The trio had gone missing six days earlier, on April 23, while travelling from Bloemfontein to Limpopo.

Mathe stated that final reports—including blood alcohol levels, toxicology, and histology—are still outstanding and are essential to concluding the investigation.

“These findings are critical before the investigation can be concluded,” she said.

“The investigation remains active and is receiving focused attention. The South African Police Service [SAPS] and private specialists have submitted reports as prescribed. In addition, analysis of physical evidence is still underway,” Mathe explained.

She noted that the process is complex, as SAPS depends on external experts for certain examinations.

Also read: City Power on a mission to recover Hursthill’s R1.6b debt

While the SAPS accident expert report has been finalised, Mathe cautioned that it is not conclusive on its own.

“The outcome of this investigation depends on a combination of all expert findings. Given the nature of the outstanding reports, it is not possible at this stage to provide a timeframe for the completion of the investigation.

What can be confirmed is that the matter is progressing, and all necessary expertise is being applied to ensure a thorough and credible outcome,” she added.

Mathe reiterated SAPS’s commitment to resolving the case with diligence and sensitivity, acknowledging the impact on the victims’ families, colleagues, and the broader public.

 

Follow us on our WhatsApp channelFacebookXInstagram, and TikTok for the latest updates!

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Midrand Reporter in Google News and Top Stories.

Sphiwe Masilela

Sphiwe Masilela is a versatile journalist, who covers hard, crime, metro and sports news for over a decade now. His journalism career began in 2012 as an intern, and since then, Masilela has been a voice of the voiceless.

Related Articles

Back to top button