Pinetown court to hear bail violation claims against rape suspect

A rape accused who was re-arrested, allegedly violating bail by confronting the child’s mother, is expected in court today.

The allegation that a 29-year-old man accused of raping an eight-year-old girl in Clermont, Durban, violated his bail conditions will be addressed by the Pinetown Magistrate’s Court today.

According to Highway Mail, the man was re-arrested in the passageway of the court precinct while waiting for his appearance on Friday – an act met with visible disatisfaction from people who had gathered in support of the child and her mother, who was allegedly sworn at by the accused.

The presiding officer said the rape suspect had been re-arrested and placed in the holding cells because the investigating officer was informed that he allegedly violated bail by being in Clermont instead of KwaDabeka, and by allegedly confronting the child’s mother. The man was kept in custody.

A person close to the child’s family, who asked not to be named, said the child is healing but is triggered by the sight of the suspect and his sibling.

The matter has united community members, some of who belong to different political organisations, to rally behind the child and her mother.

After proceedings on Friday, the co-ordinator of the uMkhonto weSizwe Party Women’s League in the Archie Gumede zone, Lethiwe Ngcobo, thanked supporters outside court for their presence.

In previous weeks, demonstrators in ANC regalia protested outside court over concerns that the case may not be successfully prosecuted due to being bungled.

One of the league’s leaders, Nonhlanhla Khoza, had previously said: “We are here to complain as mothers that a person who raped an eight-year-old child, how did they get bail? And once they have been granted bail, there are no follow-ups, nothing is being done about the allegations that the child’s mother is being sworn at by the suspect.”


Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Ruan de Ridder

A digital support specialist at Caxton Local Media, known for his contributions to the digital landscape. He has covered major stories, including the Moti kidnappings, and edits and curates news of national importance from over 50 Caxton Local News sites.
Back to top button