Armed robbery suspect killed in Pretoria security shoot-out

Drone surveillance tracks three fleeing suspects across Pretoria East towards the N4 before a shootout leaves a security officer wounded.

An alleged armed robber who was reportedly out on bail in connection with a 2024 business robbery was shot and killed during a shootout with private security officers following an armed robbery in Tyger Valley, east of Pretoria, in the early hours of yesterday morning (August 19).

One of his alleged accomplices was arrested, while an Echo-1 security officer was shot and wounded during the operation, reports Pretoria Rekord.

In a statement, the security company said one of its officers received a panic signal shortly after 03:00 from a client reporting that an armed robbery had occurred at a neighbouring property that was not protected by the company.

Officers immediately responded to the scene and deployed the company’s drone to track the fleeing suspects.

“The drone located three suspects making their way back towards the N4. Our officers moved in and conducted a tactical takedown, resulting in the arrest of one suspect who was found in possession of a firearm,” Echo-1 said.

The remaining two suspects allegedly fled towards nearby informal settlements, prompting officers to continue the pursuit on foot.

“During the follow-up pursuit, one of our officers was ambushed by a suspect and shot. A gun battle ensued, during which the attacker was fatally wounded.”

The injured Echo-1 officer was taken to hospital, where he was recovering.

Two firearms were recovered and one suspect was arrested. Echo-1 said efforts to locate the third suspect were continuing.

The security company said the suspects were allegedly known to its officers.

“Ironically, this is the same group that Echo-1 arrested in December 2024 in connection with a business robbery in Boschkop. They were out on bail at the time of this incident,” the company said.

Echo-1 thanked Proshield Security, SAPS Boschkop, the SAPS K9 Unit and Gauteng Provincial Government emergency services for their assistance during the operation.

Police were approached for comment. No response had been received by the time of publishing.

Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Itumeleng Mokoena

This report was written by a journalist from Pretoria Rekord.
Back to top button