Community in KZN exposes illegal burial of a child (12)

The boy’s death was allegedly never registered with the Department of Home Affairs.

The body of a 12-year-old boy, Nondumiso Zondi, was exhumed in KwaNdengezi near Pinetown in KwaZulu-Natal after he was allegedly buried illegally last week Sunday. It is alleged that the boy with cerebral palsy died after he fell ill but never received any medical attention.

According to SAnews.gov.za, the child’s grandmother, who was collecting a grant on his behalf, had passed away in May this year, leaving his stepmother as his primary caregiver.

His father, Mdu Zondi (31), allegedly buried him in a shallow grave and did not report the death of his son to the relevant authorities.

The incident was reported to the Department of Social Development (DSD) by community members. According to the department, the incident was uncovered when Deputy Minister Hendreitta Bogopane-Zulu went to investigate.

Bogopane-Zulu, who visited the family along with the SAPS on Thursday, said that the disabled child had been bed-ridden for 12 years in the backyard of his family home and was not attending school.

She said that the family allegedly would leave the child in a one-room shack by himself with the TV playing on maximum volume.

“After being told about Nondumiso, I could not sleep. I kept on praying and pleading with God that there would be no truth to this story,” Bogopane-Zulu said.

According to her, Nontuthuko Zondi (28), who is the child’s stepmother, confirmed that her stepson had died on Saturday after a short illness.

Due to the lack of funds, Zondi said, Nondumiso’s father and three of his friends dug a grave for him and buried him on Sunday morning at 08:00, where family members and some neighbours had attended the funeral.

Referring to the latest quarterly crime statistics, Bogopane-Zulu said that there were 243 children murdered between April and June this year.

“This happens during Disability Right Awareness Month. Disabled children deserve a right to a dignified life – just like any other child” she said.

DSD MEC Nonhlanhla Khoza expressed her condolences to the family for their loss.

“We hope that since the child has been exhumed, a post-mortem will be conducted, and light will be shed on what led to the death. We are grateful to the deputy minister and all people who played a role in ensuring that the matter reaches authorities,” she said.

Khoza dispatched a team of social workers to provide psycho-social support to the family until the funeral takes place. The body was taken to the Pinetown mortuary.

Disability Rights Awareness Month (DRAM) is an annual campaign that is held from 03 November to 03 December. This year’s campaign is held under the theme; “Empowering Persons with Disabilities through resourceful, sustainable and safe environment.”

Read original story on highwaymail.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Jana Boshoff

Jana works as a senior support specialist for Caxton digital. Before that she was a journalist at the Middelburg Observer 15 years where she won numerous awards including Sanlam's Up and Coming Journalist, Caxton Multimedia Journalist of the Year, and several investigative awards. She is passionate about people and the stories untold.
Back to top button