Despite the fact that a company contracted by the North West Department of Public Works and Roads allegedly abandoned road projects worth millions, it scored another R134m contract recently from the same department.
Ndhuna Civil Engineering Services allegedly failed to complete road projects in Brits and in Rustenburg in 2021 after being paid over R20m. According to the spokesperson for the MEC of North West Department of Public Works and Roads, Lerato Gambu, a notice of termination was then issued to the company. However, the end of 2022, Ndhuna Civil Engineering Services was awarded a contract again, this time for R134m.
Ndhuna allegedly abandoned projects for construction of roads between Hebron and Letlhabile, and Wonderkop and Segwaelane, after receiving a notice of termination due to poor workmanship, the department confirmed.
Gambu said, only notice of termination was issued and that the MEC for Public Works and Roads, Gaoage Oageng Molapisi, has requested a report from HOD “so that we can be in a position to understand why another contract following the two that are reported.”
Molapisi has now directed an immediate internal investigation on reports of tender awarded to Ndhuna. “The MEC notes reports of the tender awarded to Ndhuna Civils with great concern. This follows allegations and admission by the department that the said contractor has been failing to perform on projects previously awarded due to various reasons including poor workmanship.”
In a letter written to the Head of Department (HOD), Moss Kgantsi, Molapisi has directed that an internal investigation be conducted on this matter urgently and a report be submitted no later than July 11, 2023.
“The appointment of the contractor perpetuates a wrong narrative about the department which we have been working hard to change,” the MEC said.
“The department should conduct its business in a transparent and accountable manner, and must remain responsive on issues of service delivery.”
The DA in North West expressed it concern by the reports that a contractor, Ndhuna Civil Engineering Services, that allegedly failed to complete two road projects in the province and was issued with notices of termination, has been awarded a new contract by the same Department of Public Works and Roads.
“The DA has repeatedly urged the department to place contractors on a “blacklist” if they do not uphold their contractual commitments. If this case is true, then it is an indication that the ANC North West government is not serious about consequence management and the province has become a free for all state,” DA spokesperson, Freddy Sonakile said.
“Holding contractors accountable for their contractual obligations is not optional, but a governmental duty to safeguard public funds. The DA has written to the MEC of Public Works and Roads, Saliva Molapisi, requesting clarity on the matter. We further requested information relating to the two previous incomplete projects, including amounts paid and the current R134m tender.
“The request was extended to tender documents of the current tender, including the names of all contractors who placed bids. The DA will scrutinise the tender process and hold the department accountable for alleged departmental capture.”
Read original story on kormorant.co.za