Couple murdered, child shot in Mariannhill home invasion
The close-knit community of Mariannhill in KwaZulu-Natal is seething with anger after a businessman and his wife were brutally murdered while their five-year-old child was shot and injured by five armed robbers, who stormed their home, on Friday afternoon.

The child was critically injured and is fighting for her life at the St Mariannhill Hospital. Mzwakhe Ndlela (47) died at the scene while his wife, 42-year-old Xolise, succumbed to her injuries in hospital.
The brazen home invasion followed after the five suspects stormed the family-owned tuck-shop (based at their home) in Milkyway New City in Mariannhill.
The gun-wielding men demanded cash before opening fire.

Provincial police spokeswoman, Col Thembeka Mbele, confirmed the incident and stated that charges of murder, attempted murder and robbery were opened at the Mariannhill police station for investigation.
“It is alleged that on May 26 at 5:30pm, a family of three were at the business premises at Milkyway New City in Mariannhill when they were accosted by five armed men. The family was held at gunpoint and the robbers demanded cash before opening fire, fatally wounding the 47-year-old man and his 42-year-old wife. Their five-year-old daughter was injured during the attack. The suspects stole an undisclosed amount of cash and fled the scene,” she said.
Ndlela’s sister, Ntombifuthi, stated that they are still reeling in shock and explained that the family is still seeking answers and details as the horrific incident occurred while she and the rest of her family were out of Durban.
“We are busy with the funeral arrangements. I don’t have much to say and the only thing I know about this gruesome incident is what I was told by my neighbour. We are from Matatiele. My brother lives here with his family. This is not the first time he was robbed. He was also robbed, last year, but the suspect only took money and walked away,” she told Rising Sun Chatsworth.
A neighbour, who wishes to remain anonymous, said that he is devastated by the incident and does not feel safe in the community.
“It’s been two days and I have not eaten anything as I am still traumatised by this brutal incident. We saw five armed men, walking like they had done nothing wrong,” the traumatised neighbour concluded. No arrests have been made at this stage.
Read original story on risingsunchatsworth.co.za