Damage reports reveal massive flood cost in KwaDukuza, North Coast

In KwaDukuza 288 roads, 82 bridges, 81 electrical infrastructure sites and 20 public amenities were damaged.

More than 800 homes have been either partially or completely lost because of the floods in KwaDukuza, but ward councillors warned that the number is likely much higher.

This was revealed as part of the preliminary report into flood damages which the KwaDukuza municipality (KDM) compiled after oversight visits were undertaken between April 15 to 18.

Aside from the homes, 288 roads, 82 bridges, 81 electrical infrastructure sites and 20 public amenities were damaged.

The damage to the electrical infrastructure has been of particular concern, with power outages sweeping across KwaDukuza outside of load-shedding hours.

Opposition party councillors and the North Coast Courier have written to KDM requesting feedback on the damages and remedial action plans, but no response had been received at the time of publishing.

Although the compiled numbers are already staggeringly high, ward councillors indicated they are likely much higher after the report was presented to council last week.

 

Ward 16 councillor Sabelo Mthiyane believes damage statistics in the municipal report do not reflect the actual situation.

 

“I am not sure this is a true reflection of my ward. I’m convinced there are many more places that have been affected,” says ward 16 councillor, Sabelo Mthiyane.

This was echoed by ward 1 councillor, Judith Mpanza.

“I am not happy with these figures at all. There are about 250 people affected in my ward and here it only lists 84. It appears as if a proper job has not been done,” she says.

“It is important to note that it is a preliminary report and that ward councillors were meant to guide municipal teams as to where damage had occurred,” says community services executive director, Siya Khanyile in response.

 

Executive director of Community Services and Public Amenities, Siyabonga Khanyile, tabled the consolidated damage report in council last Thursday.

 

R15 000 has been allocated towards burial costs for the families of 10 residents who died during the floods.

Temporary housing was also arranged for 217 displaced people at nine community halls where goods, hampers, blankets, stoves, mattresses and sponges were supplied as per the report.

However, ward 17 councillor Chellappa Naicker, said the hall in his ward had not received all of these amenities.

“We were frustrated at the beginning because we had little support until the executive directors decided to step up. Let us make it quite clear that all the people mentioned did not receive what is listed,” he says.

He also raises concern about the report’s recommendation “that council notes that KDM does not have capacity to attend to individual damages that has occurred at private premises”.

“Many rate- and taxpayers have been affected and I do not agree that they should not be helped,” Naicker says.

Acting municipal manager, Nhlanhla Mdakane, says it is impossible to administer direct aid in this way and that packages from provincial and national government would be better suited for this purpose.

The report was passed without changes.

Read original story on northcoastcourier.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Jana Boshoff

Jana works as a senior support specialist for Caxton digital. Before that she was a journalist at the Middelburg Observer 15 years where she won numerous awards including Sanlam's Up and Coming Journalist, Caxton Multimedia Journalist of the Year, and several investigative awards. She is passionate about people and the stories untold.
Back to top button