KZN pensioners in limbo after possible Drakensberg getaway scam
A holiday booked and paid for by 72 pensioners has been postponed again, leaving them wondering if they have been scammed.
What was meant to be a long-awaited retreat to the Drakensberg has turned into heartache and financial strain for 72 pensioners from Umkomaas in KZN, who say they’ve been left devastated – and possibly scammed – after their holiday was cancelled for the second time at the last minute.
The group, which had collectively paid over R100 000 to a Durban-based travel agency, is demanding answers and refunds, with some pensioners having gone as far as taking out loans to cover the cost of the trip.
The agency was meant to organise their Drakensberg trip last year.
According to their families, the three-day trip was to cost them R1 950 each, but was postponed last December – until this week – due to inclement weather.
My grandmother has been preparing for this trip since last year.
“On Monday, when they were supposed to leave, they were told that there is an issue with the travel arrangements,” said the granddaughter of one of the pensioners.
Some said they even took out microloans to fund the trip, and now those loans must be paid back with interest.
“My grandmother is a pensioner. She cannot just up and leave for a three-day trip. It needs proper planning, and a lot of money was invested.
“It has truly been sad seeing her so excited for a trip and then it all just disappears,” said the granddaughter.
She said when they investigated, they were shocked to find out that the accommodation and bus company were never booked.
“You cannot postpone a trip twice. That just raises a lot of questions and suspicions.
“We called the bus company on Monday and they told us they were never booked for this trip.
“The same thing with the resort in Drakensberg,” she said.
The chairperson of the Umkomaas Senior Citizens Club, Selvie Moodley, said she was in communication with the travel agency, and they promised to refund everyone their money by tomorrow.
“When we were supposed to leave on Monday, they had other problems.
“I was fed up, so I told those guys to just cancel the trip. We could not handle another postponement.
“We prepare for these trips, buy food for the journey and all of that. We eventually agreed to cancel the trip.
“They promised to pay back all the money by Friday.
“We made all payments in cash, and we needed our money paid back in cash because most of us are Sassa pensioners and don’t have bank accounts,” said Moodley.
The Witness tracked down the owner of the travel agency, who assured the pensioners that he was not a scammer.
“We have worked with this group of pensioners before and we have delivered on all our promises,” he said.
The owner, who asked not to be named, said that other travel agencies are making the false claims on social media, calling them scammers.
This is a tough industry and people will do anything to get ahead of their competitors. We are an honest business and we will be paying all funds back in cash.
“The reason it is taking so long is because we must withdraw more than R100 000, and that does not happen in just a day,” said the travel agency owner.
Reaction Unit South Africa spokesperson Prem Balram warned people, especially senior citizens of scams.
“Before you make any sort of payment, make sure to check and verify the travel agency or resort that you are going to. Read reviews. Do a proper check before moving forward with anything,” said Balram.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on witness.co.za