Limpopo police confirm inquest after US millionaire killed by buffalo

Police say that when they arrived, the hunter’s body was already in an ambulance, and the buffalo, which had a bullet wound, was found nearby.

An inquest has been opened into the death of Asher Watkins during a hunting safari on Sunday.

This was confirmed to Caxton Network News by Colonel Malesela Ledwaba, the spokesperson for the Limpopo police.

Hans Vermaak of Coenraad Vermaak Safaris (CVS) said in a statement earlier that Watkins was killed in an ‘unprovoked attack by an unwounded’ Cape buffalo that he was tracking. He said they are co-operating with ‘relevant authorities to ensure all procedures are followed’.

  • Asher, in his 50s, was a millionaire from Dallas, Texas, who reportedly believed in hunting as a powerful conservation tool.
  • He was a managing partner at Watkins Ranch Group – a real estate marketing firm dedicated to the sale of ranches, land and recreational properties.

“We can confirm that SAPS Makhado are investigating an inquest following the untimely death… The incident happened on Sunday [around] 13:00 on [a] farm along [the] N1 to Musina,” Ledwaba said.

Ledwaba said that the security personnel at the farm – along the N1 to Musina – took police officers to the scene. “They were shown a lifeless body of a man already certified dead inside an ambulance. [The] deceased [had] injuries on the stomach and the side of the ribs.”

Vermaak’s statement said: “Asher was fatally injured in a sudden and unprovoked attack by an unwounded buffalo he was tracking, together with one of our professional hunters and one of our trackers.”

Ledwaba said the buffalo was found lying dead nearby, with a bullet wound. “Police investigations are continuing,” he concluded.

Caxton Network News contacted CVS to ask if the buffalo was shot after Watkins’ death, but was told the company would not make any statements other than what was said in the initial statement. CVS reiterated that the buffalo was not wounded when it was being tracked by the hunting party.

“While we understand the media and public’s interest in this matter, we trust that you will appreciate that our priority at this time is with the family of the deceased and all individuals directly affected by this tragic event.”

CVS said it does not intend to publicly share any specific details regarding the event.

“This decision has been made out of respect for the family’s privacy and in recognition of the sensitive and traumatic nature of the situation. In our view, sharing further specifics would not serve to add any value and may only contribute to further distress for those directly involved.”


 

Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Ruan de Ridder

A digital support specialist at Caxton Local Media, known for his contributions to the digital landscape. He has covered major stories, including the Moti kidnappings, and edits and curates news of national importance from over 50 Caxton Local News sites.
Back to top button