Paroled CIT heist pensioner caught with stash of explosives in KZN

Police discovered 41 blasting cartridges and three detonators at the home of a man previously jailed for a cash-in-transit heist.

A pensioner was arrested on Sunday in the Mahlabathini area outside Ulundi in KZN for unlawful possession of explosives.

Zululand Observer reports that the man (69) was arrested by Hawks members from Richards Bay Serious Organised Crime Investigation, working with Mahlabathini detectives.

Hawks spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Simphiwe Mhlongo says police acted on a tip-off about a suspect who had explosives in the area.

“A joint operation was swiftly conducted and they proceeded to the said homestead. A search was conducted, during which 41 blasting cartridges and three electric detonators were found. Richards Bay Explosives unit and Ulundi Local Criminal Record Centre processed the crime scene.

“The explosives were seized and the suspect was arrested. Preliminary police investigations revealed that the suspect is a parolee who was released in 2018 after he was sentenced to 95 years imprisonment for a cash-in-transit robbery which occurred in Camperdown in 2001. A parole officer was informed and necessary steps will be taken,” says Mhlongo.

He adds that the suspect is expected to appear in the Mahlabathini Magistrate’s Court soon.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Muzi Zincume

Muzi aka Dr Qamata is a senior journalist at the Zululand Observer, who reports on a wide range of news from community news, politics and crime, to local and provincial government stories and sport. He holds a qualification in journalism and has been in the media industry for almost two decades. He has worked for various media houses at both national and local level.
Back to top button