SAPS urges looters to voluntarily hand in stolen goods or face criminal prosecution

Looters have been called upon to voluntarily surrender any looted property or face possible arrest and criminal records as the Integrated Recovery Operations continue.

The National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (NatJOINTS) has welcomed the influx of calls and tip-offs received via the MySAPS app from various communities in both KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng, which has seen the recovery of hundreds of suspected stolen property.

In all, a total of 3 407 suspects had been arrested on various charges since the violence erupted over a week ago, with only one suspect granted bail, 1 122 expected to appear in different courts in the two most affected provinces, and the remaining dockets under investigation.

Major General Mathapelo Peters of the SAPS issued a warning to those who were not part of the looting spree but are buying stolen property from the looters that they too, will be arrested for being in possession of stolen property.

“The concerted response by the NatJOINTS, along with the SANDF and SAPS to the recent acts of unrest and opportunistic criminality, where tensions now appear to be simmering down, security forces have embarked on recovery operations with the collaboration of citizens who have gone out of their way giving tip-offs to the police, and some cleaning up their streets and business premises that were affected by the looting in the past week.” Peters said.

Looting arrests

In Gauteng, 14 suspects were arrested for being in possession of suspected looted property in a number of hostels in areas such as Thembisa, Johannesburg, Alexandra, and Moroka.Amongst the goods recovered were bed mattresses; television sets; couches; fridges, sound systems; computer screens and laptops; steel frames; grocery, and clothing items.

“In KwaZulu-Natal 92 suspects have been arrested over the weekend for being in possession of stolen property. The NatJOINTS has at the same time also reiterated the call for people to refrain from inciting violence by creating and circulating inflammatory messages that seek to do nothing but elevate the levels of tension, confusion and fear amongst communities. These messages instil fear in our communities and undermine the authority of the State,” Peters said.

Inflammatory messages

NatJOINTS has also noted that there are many messages and posts spreading across social media and messaging platforms that aim to incite violence and instill fear and confusion among communities. People who do spread such messages are being prosecuted as well.

“Police in the West Rand District in Gauteng arrested two suspects, one on Thursday evening 15 July 2021 in Roodepoort and the second suspect on Friday, 16 July 2021 in Westonaria, both on allegations of creating and circulating inflammatory messages with the potential of inciting violence.

“They are expected to appear on Monday 19 July 2021 before the Randfontein and Westonaria Courts respectively. A third suspect, a 21-year old woman was arrested in Duduza in Ekurhuleni District on Saturday 17 July 2021 on similar allegations. She is expected to appear before the Nigel Magistrate Court on Tuesday 20 July 2021,” Peters said.


Members of the public should continue to report criminality to the police, which may be done anonymously by calling the Crime Stop number 08600 10111 or via the MySAPS app that can be downloaded onto any smartphone.

Read original story on bereamail.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button